Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS, 2003 Deville
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I finished the engine rebuild and TCC Solenoid replacement on my 2001 Deville I've been looking for another project. So I decided this week to replace the TCC solenoid on the wife's 2003 Deville which was throwing both the P0741 & P1860 codes and also replace the Struts since there was a rattle up front and I had already replaced the sway bar links and the intermediate steering shaft which eliminated most of the rattles. So the struts were are all that was left to replace which looked like the original units so their time is up anyway. I ordered a couple Monroe Quick struts from Rock Auto and found the AC Delco TCC Solenoid on Amazon for $17.00 with free shipping.

I debated on how to approach the replacement, from the top and dealing with the limited side cover access or tilt the cradle down on the drivers side and have all kinds of access. I noticed that it appeared that the cradle had been dropped before because several of the wire loom retainers were disconnected and heater pipe brackets were not connected correctly so I decided to tilt the cradle down so I could get at everything to connect correctly and see what else was not done properly.

As I was disconnecting everything on top to allow for the cradle tilt I was concerned with the one coolant pipe that connects into the fitting on the rear of the coolant crossover because these fittings have issues with the internal O-ring and plastic retainers over time. My concerns were well founded, as soon as I removed the nut securing the pipes bracket and moved the pipe out of the way it started leaking from the fitting at the crossover. What a horrible design this is. A pipe nipple with a pc of heater hose connected to the pipe would be a much better setup. I'll see if I can round up the retrofit parts tomorrow. With the cradle tilted down it really makes access to this fitting easy, otherwise it would be tough working from the top. So now I'm really glad I decided to go with the tilt method.

Cradle tilted on Drivers side.

View from drivers side. Lots of room to work with this method.

Side cover off. While in here I also replaced the filter.

Here's the bad TCC Solenoid. Melted a little around the base of the connector.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Re: 2003 Deville TCC Solenoid replacement. Cradle tild method.

Copied to Tech Tips. Thanks for the write up and pics.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Today I was able to find the retrofit parts for that special pipe fitting that threads into the back of the coolant crossover. Normally you would have to order a new fitting and coolant pipe because the plastic innards of the fitting disintegrate over time and the plastic retainer clip on the pipe usually breaks when you try to remove the pipe and you can't buy it separately so you have to order a new coolant pipe assy. The cost for both the fitting and the coolant pipe is approx. $30.00 plus a couple days for it to arrive. The retrofit parts consisted of a 1/2" pipe to 5/8" barbed brass fitting, a short pc of 5/8" heater hose and a couple hose clamps which all cost under $10.00.

Here is the old fitting and pipe assy laid out along with the new brass fitting I found at the local hardware, a short pc of heater hose and a couple hose clamps. I've laid everything out as it would be assembled and you can see that the coolant pipe and brass fitting assembly is little too long.

So I cut 1 rib off the brass nipple and then trimmed the pipe to the left of the rib. So now you can see that when assembled it will be approx. the same length as the original fitting and pipe.

Everything is back together and TCC lockup is now good. New struts took care of the last little bit of rattle up front. It tracks straight down the road but strangely enough the steering wheel is cocked a little to the left now by about 10 degrees. It needs a front end alignment anyway because of the new struts so we'll make sure the alignment guys get the steering wheel straighten out.

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts

Fantastic job samert....

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,513 Posts
Post #4 copied to companion thread in Tech Tips.

The front end alignment will take care of the cocked steering wheel - tie rod adjustments.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Post #4 copied to companion thread in Tech Tips.
Thanks Sub, I'm sure others have done something similar if not exactly the same thing. Just haven't seen it posted anywhere specific.

The front end alignment will take care of the cocked steering wheel - tie rod adjustments.
Yep, It's already back from Firestone this morning and all straightened out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you reference a P/N please. The GM P/N doesn't cross on the CARQUEST website.

·
Registered
2000 DTS 194,000 miles, 2000 DHS 203,000 miles
893 Posts
Sure I'll get the service writer to tell me where he gets them and the part numbers. Could possibly even come from O'Reily's from their help section. We may still have one hanging on the wall with other miscellaneous parts. GM uses two different sizes in most all their cars and trucks. We usually have one of the three places we get parts from send one of each when we need one and one of them always seems to fit.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What, if you decided to do this for others would that repair cost?thanks Jerry
For just the TCC Solenoid it would probably be around $500.00 and take 5-6 hours I estimate. That would include converting the heater pipe connection to a hose fitting vs. the factory quick disconnect. I'm in Michigan so you always have to consider the rust factor. Nothing comes apart easy on a 13 year old car. On this one I had to drill out a broken bolt for the lower air box and that took almost an hour to drill and re-tap the hole.

·
Registered
2004 deville base
83 Posts
thanks for the reply about cost, that would be a great deal for the car owner. I have read your posts here and would trust you to repair my car. thanks again

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the reply about cost, that would be a great deal for the car owner. I have read your posts here and would trust you to repair my car. thanks again
Thanks for the vote of confidence Jerry. I do alot of different repairs out of my shop. Mostly brakes and wheel bearings but I'll do most anything as long as it doesn't tie up my lift for several days. I took a couple months to rebuild the engine in my 2001 Deville, just working on it a couple hours here and there between other projects but I could push the car out of the shop to get others in there so it wasn't a problem until the real winter showed up. Then I would just push it up to the front as far as possible and that would allow me to use the lift but did make things a little tight.

Call me crazy but I don't mind working on these Cadillac's with the Northstar engine. They have their quirks and most people shy away from them once they open the hood and see nothing but an engine bay full of engine, hoses, wires etc. I think they are still the best riding cars around once you get all the suspension stuff fixed up.

When I did this TCC Solenoid I looked at the front engine mount and it seemed to be OK but I now feel the telltale signs of it and possibly the rear transmission mount going bad. So I'm going to buy another one of Jakes (Northstar Performance) solid front mounts to replace this one. I have one on my 2001 Deville and it's nice and solid but no vibrations transferred to the car. They are a bit pricey but it will be the last one you ever have to change on the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts