Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm Joel and new to this forum thing, so please bear with me.
I bought a set of lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends, inner tie rod ends, and sway bar end links for my '03 Deville DTS. I had to remove the rivets from the control arms by grinding, then drilling them out. It was a relatively difficult job... She's got almost 200k miles on her. The way she was riding, drifting and vibrating, I'm pretty sure those parts had never been serviced, prior to my ownership...
The engine runs very strong, and I change the oil every 3k miles with Mobil1.
I just did all four corners' brakes on Christmas, after driving to Las Vegas from Reno, NV. (The right rear pads gave up as I arrived in Vegas)
I bought the car from an old lady whom couldn't drive any longer for $500.00 last February.
The only thing seriously wrong is the steering rack, which leaks like a stuck pig, unless I fill the reservior with Lucas power steering leak fixer (which lasts about 5 days)

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
1,122 Posts
Hello. I'm Joel and new to this forum thing, so please bear with me.
I bought a set of lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends, inner tie rod ends, and sway bar end links for my '03 Deville DTS. I had to remove the rivets from the control arms by grinding, then drilling them out. It was a relatively difficult job... She's got almost 200k miles on her. The way she was riding, drifting and vibrating, I'm pretty sure those parts had never been serviced, prior to my ownership...
The engine runs very strong, and I change the oil every 3k miles with Mobil1.
I just did all four corners' brakes on Christmas, after driving to Las Vegas from Reno, NV. (The right rear pads gave up as I arrived in Vegas)
I bought the car from an old lady whom couldn't drive any longer for $500.00 last February.
The only thing seriously wrong is the steering rack, which leaks like a stuck pig, unless I fill the reservior with Lucas power steering leak fixer (which lasts about 5 days)
Ok so what are you asking?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
From his first sentence I would assume that he's saying "Hello!"

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,319 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Joel. You'll find lots of great info here. Couple of suggestions: edit your profile to include year/model/trim level. Will make it easier for members here to help you on down the line.
Other suggestion is to learn about the Oil Life Monitor, and learn to trust it. If you're changing oil every 3000 miles, based only on miles alone, you're wasting money and oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forums, Joel. You'll find lots of great info here. Couple of suggestions: edit your profile to include year/model/trim level. Will make it easier for members here to help you on down the line.
Other suggestion is to learn about the Oil Life Monitor, and learn to trust it. If you're changing oil every 3000 miles, based only on miles alone, you're wasting money and oil.
Thank you. '03 Deville DTS with all of the bells and whistles, including a factory power sunroof(which has a broken track)
I will learn to trust the engine oil monitor, the 3k miles thing is something ingrained in me since I first started turning wrenches with my Dad at age 8 years. He had a '77 Eldorado and a '63 Buick Riviera ( both of them were alpine white on red leather) as well as a myriad of VW Squarebacks, bugs, and a '59 VW bus panel van.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
As posted, please update your profile to show car(s) driven, location, time zone, other info. Use other member login banners for hints. It sure helps with diagnosis and advice. Your post to a 3 year old dead thread down in Suspension may not receive an answer - the OP has not logged in for 2 years. Always look at post dates to get some idea if you'll ever receive feedback.

Study this - one section gives you the basis for the OLM, written by the GM engineer who did the original work for the system. The rest of the article(s) was (were) written by one of the GM/Cadillac Northstar Systems engineers - a CF member.

https://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville Base - Gold
324 Posts
So what kind of miles are we talking about here on your DTS?

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,428 Posts
He said just under 200k

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, and how ambitious, you can replace the power steering rack yourself. A bit of a job, and you'll need an alignment after, but certainly possible.

·
Registered
2000 DTS 194,000 miles, 2000 DHS 203,000 miles
893 Posts
If you put a rack in it or have it put in, you wasted money by putting inner tie rods on....the new rack comes with them.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville Base - Gold
324 Posts
He said just under 200k

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, and how ambitious, you can replace the power steering rack yourself. A bit of a job, and you'll need an alignment after, but certainly possible.
My bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts