Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered my new plenum should be installing this week anyone have any suggestions while I have it apart to replace anything else while I'm doing it that I'll have access to just don't want to have to take it apart later for something j could have done.a few people have mentioned the starter but I think mines fine any suggestions

·
Registered
96 Concours, 05 DHS
184 Posts
Re: 2003 cadillac deville plenum

While you have the intake manifold off, maybe install a fresh rubber PCV "ell" (it's on the passenger end of the manifold where the rigid tube goes back to the valve cover). Probably run you around 10 bucks for the part, then good for another 80K miles.

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks any reason to replace the starter I don't see any problem with mine

·
Registered
81 supporter
458 Posts
when i did mine it only took me 1 1/2 hours ( never did one before ) so if you have to go back and do something else to it its not like your gonna have to waste a day doing it, its an easy job

·
Registered
96 Concours, 05 DHS
184 Posts
I don't have experience like some of the other guys here (i.e., my sample size is tiny). My 96 has 245K and the original starter. My 05 has 115K and probably the original starter (but I bought it at 105K so don't really know for sure). As houg says above, it's not a huge deal taking off the intake if you need to get at the starter.

Just make sure you don't over-torque the manifold bolts when you reinstall, or you'll crack the plastic and need a new manifold. I think it's just 7.5 lb-ft. You DO have a torque wrench, right?

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes I do have a torque wrench I heard they're pretty much just hand tighten

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there a way to get most of the fuel out of the fuel lines before I remove them?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
is there a way to get most of the fuel out of the fuel lines before I remove them?
Put a rag over the service fitting on the fuel rail and press the valve like you are letting air out of a tire. You should get about an ounce or less of fuel. You just want to depressurize the line.

ok thanks any reason to replace the starter I don't see any problem with mine
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay so here's my question when I went to install my new plenum I noticed this plastic small tube that is connected into the throttle body where you can see some yellow stuff is cracked how do I find the tube and what is it to replace it it's only about a foot long and plugs in somewhere behind the manifold

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
forgot to mention where it is broke at it does still reach where I could put the rubber elbow back on it and plug it in would this be ok

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,413 Posts
As previously posted, ANY of those plastic formed vacuum pipes and their rubber connectors/elbows may be replaced with one piece of proper sized vacuum hose from the Help! racks at any parts store.

The yellow is the factory assembly marker for which line goes where. That one might be the manifold vacuum (it's after the throttle blade) to the EVAP purge system. If it just broke, fine. If it has been broken you should have had idle problems and some sort of P code(s).

EDIT: Nope - just looked. That's the vacuum source for the A.I.R. system and check valves. An emissions system.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
If you still have it apart, also look at the starter positive feed as the nuts could come loose. If you need to tighten it, make sure you do not bridge the connection to the block, or better, disconnect the negative battery cable before you work on it.

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just put everything back together and the plenum was definitely rip also my PCV was ripped so its runningmuch better I do notice though when I tap on the gas pedal in park I'm getting a little whistle I've checked everything for any leaks and it's all been put back together nice and neat with this may be just because everything is clean

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well after driving the car all day the whistle has gone away maybe just cause everything was new idk.it rides 100 times better definently was worth it thanks for all your help

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
:thumbsup: If the whistle comes back, check for vacuum leaks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts