Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Deville Base
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Last week my SES light lit up, checked it and gave me a P0410 code, the following morning on my way to work, the SES started flashing and i had a misfire. When i got home, i pulled the codes, i still had the P0410 and now a P0300, Random Misfire. i cleared the codes and started the car and a new code was revealed,

P0302, Cylinder 2 Misfire. The front coil is only a year old, i replaced it via warranty, and still same code.
I removed the spark plug and it soaked in oil, i replaced it with a fresh one, and no more misfire.

2 days later, my SES light came on and now i have the original P0410 code? What to look for again?

2003 Cadillac Deville base
178,xxx

All Plugs and boots were replaced about 20k miles ago.

The Picture attached, the plug on the bottom is from cylinder 2 and the plug on the top is from cylinder 4

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 deville
604 Posts
Regarding the p0410 do you get a whine for abit 30-60 at cold start. It could be a bad check valve on the drivers side and front and center I believe on back of engine. It lets extra air into exhaust stream to heat up converters faster. It shouldn't be effecting that oil leak though may be a gasket.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,179 Posts
The oil is just seepage from the cam cover oil seals. It's common, but will not cause a misfire.
The P0410 should not cause a misfire either.

·
Registered
2003 Deville Base
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a whine noise, almost as if it was a very tight belt.

I replaced the valve cover gaskets at the same time as the plugs, unless i didn't sit them correctly.

----------

So the whine noise is a good sign or bad?

·
Super Moderator
87,179 Posts
THIS is the AIR pump.

It's down between the front fascia and the LF wheel (#2)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,813 Posts
Yep ^^^^

Two check valves, one on the right (rear) cam cover, one down by the driver's side radiator tank/water pump area. A.I.R. pump inside the front of the LF fenderwell liner.

Some models/calibrations have no, one or two A.I.R. pumps. The number of gray relays with blue connector clipped to the side of the right strut tower is the telltale.

Left center - the blue connector on the right strut tower - black bracket - just rearward of the underhood fuse box.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Deville Base
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pump is working, i turned it on this morning, it was around 59 degrees out, and the whine is still present so the pump is engaging. However, the code hasn't shown up again in the last 3 days.

----------

Autozone carries the smog pump for $199, would it make sense to buy one from a dismantler?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The pump is working, you don't need one. If you did, AutoZone would definitely not be the place to go (and in general, their parts are complete garbage). Amazon has some of the best deals on the OE pumps.

If toucan hear the pump easily, the cover has probably fallen off. With it off, it will eventually fail. The code is being triggered by either one or more faulty check valves, a disconnected hose, or a disconnected vacuum line.

·
Super Moderator
87,179 Posts
:yeah: The pump covers are a real shitty design. Open it up and I'd bet you find the cover/silencer hanging loose.

·
Registered
2002 Deville
14 Posts
i am having the same code p0410, dug my way to the pump, had some water in it. cleaned water out, with the two hoses disconnected, starting car pump seems to be working! Checked small vacuum lines to check valves. Vacuum seems fine!! Where do I go next???? Help please

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Once there's water in it, it pumps it right to the check valves. Confirm that they hold vacuum, then check that there is no flow without vacuum, and flow with vacuum.

·
Registered
2002 Deville
14 Posts
Try to find time tomorrow, as you know the are a bit of a pain to get to. I got frustrated, so I grabbed a couple beers and pulled the wheels and cleaned the chrome!!!!

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Check if they hold vacuum by disconnecting the vacuum line and connecting a hand vacuum pump. The engine doesn't have to be running.

To check if the valves frozen, I disconnect the hoses from the pump to the valves, and apply vacuum to each with the engine running. If you hear exhaust, they're working.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,813 Posts
When you're troubleshooting any sort of vacuum system, one of these things is a BIG help ................

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts