Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Deville oil pan gasket

So i was told today I need a oil pan gasket cuz mine is leaking is this a job I can do myself?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
That's an engine out of the car job, unfortunately.

Is it leaking or just seeping/dripping slowly?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
Re: 2003 Deville oil pan gasket

........... and it's not a gasket - it's a formed silicone seal bead set into a groove machined in the oil pan flange face.

There's a new GM service procedure using NO seal bead - it uses a special GM RTV Gray application to a surgically clean oil pan and halfcase flange.

Look hard ..............

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the moment I don't have any oil dripping onto the ground it's just leaking around and the underneath of the car is all wet with oil from the oil pan

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so far I have a quote for 1100 dollars to change the oil pan gasket what is a reasonable price?

·
Administrator
68,449 Posts

That's on the inexpensive side of "reasonable".

What the shop will do is suspend the powertrain (still in the car) on the GM engine holding jig. Then drop the lower mount cradle off the engine/transmission. Disassemble/clean/repair/install everything. A LONG day's labor, not including parts.

No oil drips under the car ??? $1100 buys a LOT of 5W-30 and 4 run-through car washes a year with underbody cleaning takes care of some of the remains.

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I think I might just leave it go for a while.I have never had any oil on the ground just had it on dripping down the oil pan.the car was being looked at for something else and it was noticed.they did tell me I could just leave it and keep an eye on it. I would like to keep the car a while longer since it is in perfect condition other than the oil pan problem now.i just didn't want it to get even worse.

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is there any type of stop leak additive I could add to the oil for the time being to help or is all that stuff just crap?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts

At the moment I don't have any oil dripping onto the ground it's just leaking around and the underneath of the car is all wet with oil from the oil pan
so far I have a quote for 1100 dollars to change the oil pan gasket what is a reasonable price?
You can buy a LOT of oil for that money.

·
Administrator
68,449 Posts

If you are a bit mechanical, get the car up on a lift and start looking. While Northstar oil pan seal weeps and leaks are not uncommon, a more likely leak point is the oil filter adapter gasket/O-ring combination, the oil pressure sending unit or the oil level sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I' m thinking of attempting to replace the gasket myself as I don't need the car all the time and I have the time to take my time on it any suggestions or links on the best way to do this myself I do not have a liFTonly some jacks and ramps and plenty of other tools

·
Administrator
68,449 Posts

Have you inspected the lower engine areas yourself, and are you sure the problem is really the oil pan flange seal or another leak source, as posted previously ?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts

I' m thinking of attempting to replace the gasket myself as I don't need the car all the time and I have the time to take my time on it any suggestions or links on the best way to do this myself I do not have a liFTonly some jacks and ramps and plenty of other tools
==============================
jacks and ramps and plenty of other tools ain't gonna do it -
and chances are the leak isn't even from the oil pan -

cam cover gaskets and half-case seal are as common -
front and/or rear main seals are also a regular source -
could be as simple as a bad oil pressure switch -
or oil filter adapter "O" rings -

I STRONGLY suggest pinpointing the leak -
before deciding anything -

there are a couple different types of dyes
specifically designed to mix with engine oil
to find the source of leaks -

the BEST one fluoresces under black light -

the other is bright red or bright green
that can be seen without special lighting -

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have taken it to two shops and also to the place where I always get my oil changed and had them look at it they all seem to think everything looks dry other than the oil pan gasket seems to be coming from there I would like to try the dye myself though to be sure. do you just add it to the oil that's already in the vehicle?and obviously clean all the oil off thats there right now first. What's the procedure?

·
19,270 Posts

I have taken it to two shops and also to the place where I always get my oil changed and had them look at it they all seem to think everything looks dry other than the oil pan gasket seems to be coming from there I would like to try the dye myself though to be sure. do you just add it to the oil that's already in the vehicle?and obviously clean all the oil off thats there right now first. What's the procedure?
=======================
What's the procedure
that's the beauty of this stuff -
add the dye - drive around for a while -
look for the leaks -
no need to clean the engine first -

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I'll give the dye a try.im gonna see if I can get it locally otherwise I'll order it and post back what I find. thanks.

·
19,270 Posts

Ok I'll give the dye a try.im gonna see if I can get it locally otherwise I'll order it and post back what I find. thanks.
====================
most big auto parts stores should stock it -

1 - 20 of 69 Posts