Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 deville
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to get my car out of the foot of snow that got dumped my friend tried pulling my car with his truck. Unfortunately unable to see a good spot underneath tied to the crossmember the radiator mounts to on top. It bent the bar slightly however it also cracked the radiator where the mount attaches. Would it be worth it to bend the crossmember back and weld the radiator. Or just replace the radiator.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I bet where it cracked is plastic, if aluminum it could be repaired but probably cost as much as new rad anyways.
Lesson learned... NEVER let someone else hook tow strap to your car nor do it to somebody else's car.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
Re: 2003 deville help with radiator

I think your radiator cross-brace is bolted in. It's junkyard time (replacement brace) and new radiator.

Pray that the pulling did not distort the front clip geometry - pull the fronts of the fenders inward.

You can lift the front end of the car off the powertrain with that cross brace, but I guess you cannot tow 2 tons with it.

·
Registered
2003 deville
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a closer look at it now that it's been towed to my house. Thanks I've never priced any kind of welding so wasn't sure. I found a silla radiator for 113 shipped. Also is it pretty straight forward or is alot of time involved moving things out of the way

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
Installing a new radiator is an afternoon's work. Yes - stuff to disconnect, remove, check, clean, replace. Some dedicated time required to get the main and heater cooling system properly filled and purged of air.

How-to's in Tech Tips or try to Google "cadillac forums 2003 deville radiator replacement" or something close.

·
Registered
2003 deville
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks that's not bad just waiting on parts to arrive got that silla radiator 113 shipped and the crossmember 30. Just got to double check that bar isn't welded

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
Center upper radiator support on a 00-05 deville is a bolt in application. Two bolts on each side

·
Registered
2003 deville
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent I had thought so but my friend told me he thought it was welded. It's been averaging 10 during the days so I haven't been able to check, plus too cold to work on. Don't want to damage anything else as my fingers go number lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts