·
Registered
05 Cadillac STS
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting these 2 codes

1) C1214 - System Relay Contact or Coil Circuit Open
2) C1248 - EBCM Turned the Red Brake Warning Indicator On

Please help what is causing this and how can i fix the problem.

The service stability system comes up then I reset all codes and after afew times and driving it for a min. it goes away. Any help at all would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
05 Cadillac STS
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok ? Whats that ? What do I need to do to fix this ? I don't want to take it to the dealer it costs to much. Please let me know what I need to do to fix the problem. like what to replace ?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
The EBCM is the Electronic Brake Control Module. You will need a FSM to run through the diagnostics to figure out what the problem is. You could just replace the EBCM and see if that helps, but I hate suggesting throwing parts at it to see which one sticks.

·
Registered
05 Cadillac STS
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya , so i need to take it to the dealer to figure it out ? is the ebcm a dealer part only ? Where is it located ?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
Yes, dealer only part. It is down in the left front of the engine bay next to the BPMV (Brake Pressure Modulator Valve). It will have 4 brake lines running to it (the BPMV that is). The EBCM is electronic.

·
Registered
05 Cadillac STS
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Do I need to remove anything to get to it ? or even see it ? So its on driver side twards front of car (grill) ? How much does this part cost ?

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
Usually this part is very reliable, when a failure exists, it can usually be traced back to bad connections and wiring, or if you have had any waterpump replacements done, the coolant could have fallen on this unit as it is just below on the drivers side frame rail near the front. On the codes that you have posted, the only one that is a concern is the C1214 as the C1248 shows because of the other. Its telling you to look at a Relay that is within the BMPV. The bad news is, the part is very expensive, around 1500 dollars, A wrecker could get you one, but you have to make sure its the same number, these are not interchangeable. Ranger is right on when he spoke of the FSM, you will need one and a scantool that reads both the data stream and one that will ready the abs computer, the autozone scanner will not do the trick. Try the simple things first, grounding connections etc.

·
Registered
05 Cadillac STS
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do i need to remove anything to get to it ? i cant seem to see it. No recent work has been done. just came on the other day. is it hurting anything to drive it ? this is really bugging me, Please help. Is there anything else i can do to fix this. Sometimes it goes off and the codes says history not current. I just need to find it to check connections ? Im looking at the front of car, is it under air box ?

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
If you remove the airbox, you should see the top of it, it is mostly accessed through the bottom as it very close to the ground, the fact that it goes and comes points to a bad or loose connection. Before you replace anything, confirm that its not a connection or ground, this part is too expensive and as your finding out a pain to find and do. I would recommend that you take it to a shop and let them tell you what the problem is, then you can decide whether to do the job or let them, it should not cost too much for the diagnostic. I will post for you the routine for the C1214 and as you will see, it will very quickly tell you to use a scan tool.
DTC C1214
Circuit Description
The system relay is energized when the ignition is ON. The system relay supplies voltage to the solenoid valves and the pump motor. This voltage is referred to as the system voltage.

The electronic brake control module (EBCM) controls each solenoid valve by grounding the solenoid.

The EBCM controls the pump motor by grounding the control circuit. The pump serves 2 purposes:

Transfers brake fluid from the brake calipers to the master cylinder reservoir during pressure decrease events.
Transfers brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir to the brake calipers during pressure increase events.
Conditions for Running the DTC
The ignition voltage is greater than 10.5 volts.
The system relay is commanded ON.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
The system voltage is less than 8 volts for 0.23 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
If equipped, the following actions occur:

The EBCM disables the DRP/ABS/TCS/VSES for the duration of the ignition cycle.
The ABS indicator turns ON.
The Traction Control indicator turns ON.
The DIC displays the Service Stability System message.
The EBCM will also set DTC C1248.
The red Brake warning indicator turns ON.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The condition for the DTC is no longer present and the DTC is cleared with a scan tool.
The EBCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 100 consecutive drive cycles.
Diagnostic Aids
The system relay is integral to the EBCM. The relay is not serviceable.

Test Description
The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.

Determines whether the DTC is current.

Step
Action
Values
Yes
No

Schematic Reference: ABS Schematics

Connector End View Reference: ABS Connector End Views

Did you perform the ABS Diagnostic System Check?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - ABS

Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
With the scan tool, perform the Automated Test.
Does the DTC reset as a current DTC?
--
Go to Step 3
Go to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems

Disconnect the pump motor harness pigtail connector of the brake pressure modulator valve (BPMV).
Measure the resistance between each pump motor control circuit and the housing of the BPMV at the pump motor harness pigtail connector of the BPMV.
Does the DMM display the specified value?
OL
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 4

Important
Perform the setup procedure for the EBCM. An unprogrammed EBCM will result in the following conditions:

Inoperative or poorly functioning system operations
The EBCM sets DTC C1248 and DTC C1255m3

Replace the EBCM and the BPMV. Refer to Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) Replacement and Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) Replacement .

Did you complete the repair?
--
Go to Step 6
--

Important
Perform the setup procedure for the EBCM. An unprogrammed EBCM will result in the following conditions:

Inoperative or poorly functioning system operations
The EBCM sets DTC C1248 and DTC C1255m3

Replace the EBCM. Refer to Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) Replacement .

Did you complete the repair?
--
Go to Step 6
--

Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
With the scan tool, perform the Automated Test.
Does the DTC reset?
--
Go to Step 2
System OK

·
Registered
05 Cadillac STS
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i removed air box and think i see it. How do i get it out ? does it come out from top or bottom ? its attached to block with brake lines right ? tight squeeze

·
Registered
05 Cadillac STS
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i removed 6 little torque 20 screws and unhooked both plugs. How does it seperate from the block? is there more bolts? Please help

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Nope, theres just a gasket with a bit of sealant on it, Start prying gently at one corner and it will eventually pop right off once you get about a 1/16" gap between the two halves.

A little late now but if you remove the plastic sheilds on the front and inside of the drivers side wheel well you can get at the EBCM/BMPV much easier. I had the same codes earlier this year and replaced my EBCM with one from Ebay and it cleared the codes and now my ABS works fine. It was a 20 minute job to remove and replace it once the sheilds were off.

·
Registered
05 Cadillac STS
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help. I took it to the dealership here in KC and they scanned it and said i needed a new EBCM they estamated it at $2200....??????

I laughed and told the guy tha was robbery. I called around and found a salvage yard that had 3 of them and wanted $100 for it. So I went to the yrd and took my EBCM with me (to make sure all numbers matched) when I got there, there was a kid I knew who worked there and he sold me the part for $38. Came home installed the new one, took about 30 min.. Cleared codes all is perfect. What a day..

Long story short--I saved alot of $$$$$$$$$$

1 - 16 of 16 Posts