Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Cadillac Deville and I had a question about a situation I was having, I had the front breaks done last year september during inspection and I don't drive the car a ton, maybe 3-4 times a week to the post office 10-15 minute round trip or to the store. it has 120k miles on it, I park on grass near moisture (I viewed another thread that mentioned something about this), but my question was, I was driving and the break light came on, my usual mechanic is across town so I waited on it a bit, less than 500 miles, I am thinking it's the back breaks needing to be replaced as being the logical answer, then the other night I feel the breaks get really spongy all of the sudden and i'm like wth? I was a few blocks from home so I drove straight home and parked it, I went to get in it today turned it on and the breaks went all the way to the floor. I have never had this happen when I just needed pads before, so is it safe to say I now have a larger brake system issue? or could it be the pads just wore down and caused the problem?

I also have a situation where the car idles really rough and then about 40mph it cuts back, I had tried techron in the fuel etc, it did nothing at all, the problem has seemed to get worse. the car still runs and it drives pretty much 100% as long as it's over 1000rpm and I have experienced a cut back or 2 at speeds over 65mph. I'm thinking I have a miss? or either a vacuum leak?

I'm kinda weighing my options on purchasing another newer cadillac at this point because I don't really want to dump alot of repair money into this one being that the value is low currently.

thanks for your help.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,709 Posts
Re: 2003 Cadillac Deville (Brake Problem/Situation) Any Advice?

I have a 2003 Cadillac Deville and I had a question about a situation I was having, I had the front breaks done last year september during inspection and I don't drive the car a ton, maybe 3-4 times a week to the post office 10-15 minute round trip or to the store. it has 120k miles on it, I park on grass near moisture (I viewed another thread that mentioned something about this), but my question was, I was driving and the break light came on, my usual mechanic is across town so I waited on it a bit, less than 500 miles, I am thinking it's the back breaks needing to be replaced as being the logical answer, then the other night I feel the breaks get really spongy all of the sudden and i'm like wth? I was a few blocks from home so I drove straight home and parked it, I went to get in it today turned it on and the breaks went all the way to the floor. I have never had this happen when I just needed pads before, so is it safe to say I now have a larger brake system issue? or could it be the pads just wore down and caused the problem?

I also have a situation where the car idles really rough and then about 40mph it cuts back, I had tried techron in the fuel etc, it did nothing at all, the problem has seemed to get worse. the car still runs and it drives pretty much 100% as long as it's over 1000rpm and I have experienced a cut back or 2 at speeds over 65mph. I'm thinking I have a miss? or either a vacuum leak?

I'm kinda weighing my options on purchasing another newer cadillac at this point because I don't really want to dump alot of repair money into this one being that the value is low currently.

thanks for your help.
==================================
is it safe to say I now have a larger brake system issue?
YES -

could it be the pads just wore down and caused the problem?
NO -

------------

the car idles really rough and then about 40mph it cuts back,
I don't know what cuts back means -

I'm thinking I have a miss?
check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

·
Registered
284 Posts

Your brake problems point toward a possible hydraulic leak somewhere in the system. Check to see if your brake fluid level has dropped. It could be something not too bad like a leaky brake hose or loose fitting. Or you could have a rusted steel line which is a bit more work. If it's the latter you'll need to replace the rusted steel line(s). I would suggest replacing any other ones that look questionable. In either case you'll need to bleed/flush/refill the system after the repair to get any moisture out of the system.

Rough idle/misfire, cuts out when driving at speed...look for codes as per basscatt's instructions. One of my favorite features of these cars is their built in code reader

·
Registered
450 Posts

Your brake problems point toward a possible hydraulic leak somewhere in the system. Check to see if your brake fluid level has dropped. It could be something not too bad like a leaky brake hose or loose fitting. Or you could have a rusted steel line which is a bit more work. If it's the latter you'll need to replace the rusted steel line(s). I would suggest replacing any other ones that look questionable. In either case you'll need to bleed/flush/refill the system after the repair to get any moisture out of the system.

Rough idle/misfire, cuts out when driving at speed...look for codes as per basscatt's instructions. One of my favorite features of these cars is their built in code reader
yea what he said or maybe a bad master cylinder??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
current codes

IPM B0429
PCM P0300
RFA C0750, C0755, C0760, C0765
RIM U1000

break fluid is completely gone, so I have a bad line I assume, happened really quick, went from full breaks, to almost none in less than 24 hours, Im not sure where it's leaking from because I park on grass and can't really see anything.

----------

I see the engine misfire code, I don't see anything related to the breaking system, but the break light was on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, haven't been able to find a mechanic in my area that can diagnose it properly & fix it....... I had a misfire fixed last summer but it's back again.

·
Registered
182 Posts
PCM P0300
Unfortunately the 2000-2005 models don't give the cylinder-specific code (P030x) on the dash, so you have to attach an OBD2 reader to the connector under the driver's dash for that. The chain car parts stores often will do an OBD2 code reading for free. Once you narrow it down to a specific cylinder, you can go at the coil or plug.

If the bad cylinder's plug is carbon-tracked, you will need to replace the plug and its boot at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
spotty