Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pin hole leak in an ac rubber hose.it looks like the previous owner crimped the rubber hise in line with the metal line to maybe fix a leak is there anything I can use to seal the leak or cut out the section with the leak and fix it.i don't own the crimping tool to crimp in a whole new line

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Do not put in any stop leak.

You don't crimp in a new hose, you replace the whole thing from fitting to fitting.

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the new hose from the junkyard just need to install it.most all of my freon has already leaked out on its own so should just put new hose on myself.after I put on the new one do I just recharge the system?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
No. You need to pull a vacuum on the system for at least an hour, to remove all air and moisture.

You could rent the equipment, or just take it to a shop.

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried my local auto shops to rent a vacuum and nobody does. a local shop will charge me $120 to vacuum and refill the line can't I just refill them myself

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
I've tried my local auto shops to rent a vacuum and nobody does. a local shop will charge me $120 to vacuum and refill the line can't I just refill them myself
=======================
I've tried my local auto shops to rent a vacuum and nobody does
SHOPS never rent out their tools or equipment -

some major auto parts stores DO rent tools for free -
autozone is one -

can't I just refill them myself
SURE - if you have all the correct equipment -
AC gauge set - vacuum pump - etc -

the system MUST be evacuated -
meaning it MUST be put under a vacuum
for MINIMUM of 1 hour -

this eliminates the contaminated "air" -
and boils off the moisture in the system -

THEN you can recharge the system
with EXACTLY 2.2 LBS of freon -

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks I found autozone rents it for free just requires a deposit.so I understand the vacum end hooks to the low pressure on the car where does the other end hook on my compressor?

·
19,270 Posts
Ok thanks I found autozone rents it for free just requires a deposit.so I understand the vacum end hooks to the low pressure on the car where does the other end hook on my compressor?
==========================
the GAUGE SET connects to the HIGH and LOW ports of the AC system -

the vacuum pump connects to the SERVICE LINE of the GAUGE SET -

----------------------

don't take this the wrong way - but -

you don't have a clue -
and are not qualified to be messing with the AC system -

I STRONGLY advise you to have a pro do the evacuation and recharge -

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if I wanted to pay a pro to fix the car I would not belong to this forum just trying to get a little direction I can take the hose off put the new one on the same way I did at the junkyard and I know where my AC is and I'm sure I can find where to put the vacuum ends go just wondering what end of the compressor hooked up .is it the same end that blows out the air that just seems kind of silly to me

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
If proper A/C servicing seems silly, you need to have a qualified person do the evacuation/recharge. (and we haven't talked about PAG oil yet) Working with A/C and refrigerants involves some pretty high gas pressures - a mistake can cause mechanical damage, severe injury, and/or eye loss. While many non-gearheads can fudge a belt or oil change, A/C is in a different realm than nuts and bolts. No one is dissing you for trying, but we also don't want to lose a CF member for being bullheaded.

If you hook up "the end that blows air" it's sort of impossible to pull a vacuum, no ?

EDIT: Instead of receiving piecemeal advice from different levels of maintenance expertise, Google "r134a automotive refrigerant charging procedure" or something close. Get it straight from the horse's mouth.

·
Registered
2003 Deville base
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So would it be best for me to just replace the line myself first I can handle that part and then take it somewhere to have it vacumed and refilled?

·
Administrator
68,449 Posts
Sure - repair the obvious mechanical damage and clean it all up. An A/C shop worth half its salt will check your work, purge and evacuate the entire system, perform a vacuum leakdown test, add necessary compressor oil (it circulates in the refrigerant throughout the system), and recharge with the Cadillac spec 2.2 pounds of refrigerant.

EDIT: Look at the nearby thread on refrigerant can pressure gauge (wildly inaccurate) problems.

·
19,270 Posts
if I wanted to pay a pro to fix the car I would not belong to this forum just trying to get a little direction I can take the hose off put the new one on the same way I did at the junkyard and I know where my AC is and I'm sure I can find where to put the vacuum ends go just wondering what end of the compressor hooked up .is it the same end that blows out the air that just seems kind of silly to me
=====================
I'm sure I can find where to put the vacuum ends go
just wondering what end of the compressor hooked up .
is it the same end that blows out the air
that just seems kind of silly to me

I rest my case -

----------

So would it be best for me to just replace the line myself first I can handle that part and then take it somewhere to have it vacumed and refilled?
=========================
YES - exactly what I said in post #10 -
I STRONGLY advise you to have a pro do the evacuation and recharge -

·
Registered
2000 DTS 194,000 miles, 2000 DHS 203,000 miles
893 Posts
=======================
I've tried my local auto shops to rent a vacuum and nobody does
SHOPS never rent out their tools or equipment -

some major auto parts stores DO rent tools for free -
autozone is one -

can't I just refill them myself
SURE - if you have all the correct equipment -
AC gauge set - vacuum pump - etc -

the system MUST be evacuated -
meaning it MUST be put under a vacuum
for MINIMUM of 1 hour -

this eliminates the contaminated "air" -
and boils off the moisture in the system -

THEN you can recharge the system
with EXACTLY 2.2 LBS of freon -
I wonder why the 2003 and 2004 hold .2 more than the 2000 and 2001. It seems like all the parts are the same. I just found it interesting

·
19,270 Posts
I wonder why the 2003 and 2004 hold .2 more than the 2000 and 2001. It seems like all the parts are the same. I just found it interesting
=============================
just to screw with us?

why 7.5 quarts of oil - with filter change?

does ANYONE change oil without changing the filter?

I just stick with 7 -

why is the dipstick mismarked?

<---ADD|XXXXX|FULL - ---

add 1 quart at the ADD line -
FULL is at the top line -
what's so hard about that -

what idiot decided to make FULL the middle of the hash marks

·
Administrator
68,449 Posts
"FULL" ??? No FULL on mine - an arrow that points to the hashmarks and "OPERATING RANGE" alongside.

Read the qualifier on P.3 of the piston ring/oil fill sticky in Engines, Northstar.

My 4.6 F-150s take 6.5 quarts with filter - and the filter case is the same size as the Northstar oil filter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts