Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I saw comments on another post about code P0442 and wanted to know if you had any advice for me. About two weeks ago while driving I turned onto the highway went to accelerate and literally there was nothing there. No vroom vroom. It seemed the more I pressed the pedal the more my car wanted to die. I replaced the fuel filter, Replaced the fuel pump fuse and regulator, tested the fuel pump, there was suction at the regulator So I figured it was a bad regulator. Ordered the part installed but still acting like it’s starving for fuel. iCloud

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
P0442 is not likely to cause what you describe.
A bad FPR will leak fuel from the vacuum nipple. Otherwise it is good.
There are a few things that could cause this, such as MAF sensor, TPS and probably a few others, but most are monitored and would set a DTC. The fuel pump however, is not monitored. Check your fuel pressure. It should be about 40-45 psi.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
P 0442 has nothing to do with fuel or fuel delivery. It's an EVAP leak code. Check the gas cap, the test port cap (green cap near the brake booster, on the EVAP purge line) and then the rubber EVAP lines to/from the charcoal canister.

P 0442 - "EVAP small leak detected". AWH: Cadillac On-Board Diagnostic Trouble Codes (OBD-II)

2002 EVAP.gif

·
Registered
90 coupe deville
4 Posts
Hi I saw comments on another post about code P0442 and wanted to know if you had any advice for me. About two weeks ago while driving I turned onto the highway went to accelerate and literally there was nothing there. No vroom vroom. It seemed the more I pressed the pedal the more my car wanted to die. I replaced the fuel filter, Replaced the fuel pump fuse and regulator, tested the fuel pump, there was suction at the regulator So I figured it was a bad regulator. Ordered the part installed but still acting like it’s starving for fuel. iCloud
What was the pressure on the pump?

·
Administrator
69,105 Posts
The fuel pressure spec on a 2003 Deville Northstar is 41 - 47 psi at Key: ON or at idle. It shouild vary within that spec when tested under varying engine load conditions - then, vacuum varies and injector pulse duration varies, so there's a dance to keep rail pressure up to spec.

·
Registered
90 coupe deville
4 Posts
I just looked at your video on fuel pump test you need to put a gauge on the line some of these cars have 50 - 60 lbs of pressure that didn't look like much pressure to me.

·
Administrator
69,105 Posts
Yup ^ ^ ^

My 2002 runs at between 43 and 46, idle to over 130 mph. Been there, done that.

......... with 2 different FPRs - the original, which is in the car right now, and a newer Bosch unit that I played with in 2009.

And again, P 0442 has nothing to do with fuel delivery. It's an EVAP leak code.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
Based on the video you sent me, I'd guess a weak fuel pump with barely enough pressure to keep it running at idle.

You cab borrow a fuel pressure tester from most parts stores that have a loan-a-tool program. Connect it to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Read the fuel pressure with the engine at idle (if you can get it started, if not read it at key on.

If you need to replace the fuel pump, there is an access panel in the trunk. No need for a tank drop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts