Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at school today and parked next to my commuter car was a black CTS with a for sale sign on it. I'm looking to replace my 99 Chevy and a CTS wouldn't be a bad choice. This car was pretty beat up for a 2003 though. Check out the pics below, ou'll notice the left turn signal is broken on the top, the foglight/DRL looks like it's been kicked in, there's bad paint chips on the back bumper, the back up light/brake light area seems to be collecting water inside it, also there are paint blemishes in random places on the car not to mention door dings and paint chips. The interior is really simple too. No woodgrain, no nav system, it looks like a base model, like the cheapest CTS you can get. What would you look to pay for a used 03 CTS in this shape? I gotta say I'm interested in this car but it's condition looks like it would call for a price drop.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
DopeStar 156 said:
I was at school today and parked next to my commuter car was a black CTS with a for sale sign on it. I'm looking to replace my 99 Chevy and a CTS wouldn't be a bad choice. This car was pretty beat up for a 2003 though. Check out the pics below, ou'll notice the left turn signal is broken on the top, the foglight/DRL looks like it's been kicked in, there's bad paint chips on the back bumper, the back up light/brake light area seems to be collecting water inside it, also there are paint blemishes in random places on the car not to mention door dings and paint chips. The interior is really simple too. No woodgrain, no nav system, it looks like a base model, like the cheapest CTS you can get. What would you look to pay for a used 03 CTS in this shape? I gotta say I'm interested in this car but it's condition looks like it would call for a price drop.
As much as i'd love to see you become a member of the cts family, i think i'd stay away from this one. if the owner has let it go this bad on the outside, imagine the problems it may have mechanically.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Get the vin # and get a car fax would be a start, but I got to tell you that one looks rough and when you check further I'll bet you'll find even more bad news, Try looking for a good lease back as the dealers or leasing companies should have some good history to show. Check Edmonds.com to get an idea on the high and low.Kelly Blue Book is another or watch our cadillac classifieds or look to some members in your area to watch out for a color and a price that your looking for. You actually have several good reliable options without taking a risk on a BIG unknown. Never the less ood luck, the CTS is a solid choice and good vehicles can be had at a good price if you shop around..

·
Registered
634 Posts
I agree with DDS. It's situations like this that remind me of something I read in a Rolls Royce ad, decades ago: "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after its price is forgotten". The CTS is wonderful car. I certainly love mine. But, like anything else, they do NOT take care of themselves. Wait for a good one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Call the owner, see what he is asking, see if its covered under any warranty?= (that rear bezel can get replaced with an 05 version), test drive it , make a list that is wrong with it and show it to him .See if he can discount off the price, you know , hustle him a little.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
could it also be an '02? Since the dash has the light color?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I always wanted a CTS could not afford a new one or a used one from a dealer but I found a 2003 CTS last month from a private owner it has everything but the navigation system. I also did a CarFax report checked out good. The owner took good care of the car he had bought new car mats to put on top of the original mats to keep them clean that to me was a sign of someone who cares. I also had a good piece of mind that the car was still under warranty it had 43K miles on it I paid 19K I think I got a fair deal. The only thing that scares me is the differential problems I read on the board debating weather or not to get an extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Braz60 said:
I always wanted a CTS could not afford a new one or a used one from a dealer but I found a 2003 CTS last month from a private owner it has everything but the navigation system. I also did a CarFax report checked out good. The owner took good care of the car he had bought new car mats to put on top of the original mats to keep them clean that to me was a sign of someone who cares. I also had a good piece of mind that the car was still under warranty it had 43K miles on it I paid 19K I think I got a fair deal. The only thing that scares me is the differential problems I read on the board debating weather or not to get an extended warranty.
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal to me. I went ahead and tossed a couple more years on the waranty when I bought my CTS even though I still have plenty remaining. Figured that would push it out long enough that it will last until I'm ready to trade to something new. Some people say these "extended waranties" are for suckers, but you get one or two repairs covered by them and they pay off. On the plus side it seems to be the V's that have the major problems with the diffs, I havent seen many complaints with the regular cts.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
If it's got the pewter dash, technically, it's an early '03, although they were only produced until summer of '02, which is just before the normal '03 model year starts. GM included XM as a free flow option then, changed the interior to the Ebony (black), and switched to a DVD based nav. I think production actually started in December '01 or January '02. I own a Feb 02 build. Caddyman has a Jan 02 build.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
odysseus