Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my 2003 CTS in for inspection. Needed front and rear brake pads as well as rear rotors. Par for the course. Every time I take it in, it seems like it is $600-$800 to get stuff done on it.

Firestone will pass inspection, but the gentleman kindly advised me that half of my "trunk lid brake light" was not working. He said it may be a few hundred dollars to replace.

Any ideas if that is accurate and are there other options to fix it? Don't want to be cheap, but it seems a little excessive.

Thanks...Matt

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
It is a expencive light...you may be able to buy led tape strips , take the light housing appart and replace the led bulbs with the tape.

Fyi legally I don't think you need all 20 something led's working in the 3rd brake light

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
That is a neon lamp and yes, it's expensive. Some guys tried to put LEDs in there. Tommy Compton did a nice writeup on how he replacedthe Neon lamp. Do a search on the third brake light.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Sound like a tube is burnt out(not common but does happen) the transformer i figure would work or not work, not just work on one side and not the other. You could get a neon sign place to make you a new tube, you'd have to break open the case and bring them one to match, should only cost at most 40.00. while you are in there i'd move the exsiting transformer to the outside of the unit, because those go more often and getting into the housing is a pain, if you ever have to replace that too.
There is one in the classified right now for sale, 125.00. sounds like a good deal to me, then you'd have extra parts if some thing goes wrong with the other one.

Here's my link to the fix
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-forum-2003-through-2007/158286-3rd-brake-light-fix-pix-redeux.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts