Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 CTS, 93,000 miles

Had a hum from right rear wheel a year or so ago so replaced rear hubs and all has been fine since.
Fixed heated driver seat issue
Good info here :)

I noticed a squealing noise I believe from drivers front wheel.
Apply brakes doesn't change the noise
Turning to the left makes it go away.
I can coast in neutral down hill so engine RPMs are at idle and noise stays the same but does change with wheel rpms
If I turn to left noise diminishes, to the right it stays the same no change in level or pitch.

So I got new front hubs and replaced them yesterday..............still have the noise with exactly the same conditions as above.
Brake pads are 60-70% new, all the parts for the brakes look good and as said apply the brakes doesn't change the noise one way or the other.

Rear brakes were replaced last year with the hubs.
No other indication of a problem, i.e no ABS light or brake warnings.

Squealing has me at a loss, rear hubs were a hum not a squeal, but front hubs were easy to change

·
Registered
2003 CTS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clean and straight, no pulsing when brakes applied.

This is my wife's driver so I only drive it when there is a problem :)
She has managed to scrape off 2 of the rubber air dams under the front bumper over the years, parking blocks, so I have removed it and haven't replaced it.
Could I be hearing wind noise?
I can only hear at low speed though, road and wind noise drowns it out above 15-20mph

Also I was driving it yesterday in a parking lot with speed bumps, low ones, each time I when over a speed bump, with front wheels, the noise stopped abruptly then restarted.
But the noise changes with wheel rpm not bumps, except speed bumps, lol, so I can't think of a suspension part that would cause it.

·
Registered
CTS
256 Posts
If it is consistently changing noise with the rotations of the wheel a hub/bearing, rotor or pads are going to be your best bet. However since you eliminated all those as possibilities maybe not.

Could be the CV shaft I suppose, it may be low on grease, once that happens they go to shit pretty fast. Take a look at it. See if there's any cracks on the boot. If it looks 100% I would say it's almost surely one of the first three things I mentioned. Just because a noise doesn't increase with brake usage doesn't mean that you should completely dismiss that as a possibility.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
have you inspected the wheel well. I had a similar issue, it turned out to be the inner fender rubbing against the wheel. if it's a squeal then it's at a contact point. be it the hub, break, or something coming in contact with the wheel. If turning the wheel makes it go away then this leads me to think it's something not attached to the knuckle assembly ie not the brake assy. Get a flashlight put the car on stands then inspect the entire wheel well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts