Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried changing the oil in my 2003 Cadillac CTS however during the process the Torx 45 bit stripped out the oil drain plug. Any ideas on how to get this out I thought about using vice grips but not sure on how to get a new plug.

·
Registered
04 CTS 3.6L "The Gray Ghost"(R.I.P), 05 CTS 3.6L "Fin"
376 Posts
I've done this before myself. What I did, becasue I couldn't get a good enough grip with the vice grips, was filed down two sides of the plug with a big metal file and then used an open end wrench. Replaced the plug for about $5 and everything was good.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2/2004 GTO/2004 GMC Yukon
324 Posts
If you haven't gotten the plug out yet...... spray it with penetrant..... get a flat tipped screwdriver or flat punch and what you are going to do is use it to "chisel" the plug loose by tapping the screwdriver with a hammer. Don't get carried away.... just place the tip of the screwdriver on the edge of the drain plug and hit it a couple of times to make a mark on it. Then get a good grip on it and whack it a couple of times.... it should come loose. Be careful not to get too frustrated or carried away so that you don't damage your oil pan. I have removed a couple of drain plugs like this. You can replace it with a normal drain plug once you get the old one out.

Briggy..... the 03 CTS has a round drain plug with a torx bit opening in the center of it..... unfortunately those removers you posted will do no good to get that plug off. Stupid idea for a drain plug, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
03 CTS
50 Posts
Can the drain plug be replaced with something else? I hate this 45 bit torx and the way Cadillac built the 03 CTS! I mean bad enough I have to take off the bumper to replace my headlights but ya can't even fit a socket set under the car to take the drain plug out!

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,922 Posts
i replace mine more than i have to... when i first got the cts i went to change the oil and the torques was starting to strip so i just took it to my mechanic and bought a new drain plug and had him do the first change. now he knows the part he put in there and i have replaced it once this year as well. 1 drain plug a year is a small expense to save a big headache, i change it on my other cars just the same.
on the cts i switched to a regular wrench head though, i hate the torques bits, torques sockets arent as bad.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2/2004 GTO/2004 GMC Yukon
324 Posts
Can the drain plug be replaced with something else? I hate this 45 bit torx and the way Cadillac built the 03 CTS! I mean bad enough I have to take off the bumper to replace my headlights but ya can't even fit a socket set under the car to take the drain plug out!
Yes, you can replace the drain plug with a regular hex head plug. Just make sure it is the correct size, which I believe is M14X1.5

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,439 Posts
The issue I have is I want to change the oil myself and there's no room to fit a socket set to take the drain plug out! Wish I had an 3.6.
why isnt there enough room? i change my own oil all the time. i dont understand what you are trying to say that you cant fit a socket set in there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.