Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had a lot of work done on my car this past year. The batter was bought last October. Put in a new engine cause my old one blew out. Changed the Cam shaft position sensor today since I had the check engine come on. But I noticed yesterday and today if I leave the car alone for a few hours the first time I try to turn it on it hesitates to turn over but it eventually does within that first try. Car runs great. But there’s no code nor check engine for it. Anyone experienced the same ??

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >132k miles
762 Posts
I also think you have a weak battery (or weak connection somewhere). I would first verify that the ground connection and starter connection are solid...just unscrew them, wire brush the contact area, apply dielectric grease, and reinstall. Disconnect the negative battery lead first, of course! (Also verify that battery leads are tight and no corrosion...if you have corrosion the battery is on its way out).

On a related note, is your alternator original? If not, and if someone installed a store brand Carquest or similar, the battery may not be charging properly and may fail sometime sooner than expected. I had this problem last year with a Carquest reman. Never again! After several warranty replacements I finally dumped that turd for an ACDelco.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
226 Posts
Check the braided ground strap on the starter, I had similar probs and while checking as soon as I touched it, it just disintegrated into powder.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6
6 Posts
I have this when the car had not been used much, but nowhere near so much otherwise and like the others it always starts first time. A JLR engineer (engine manufacturing plant UK) suggested it may be due to oil draining down on standing and this leaving upper engine parts with more friction until the oil gets pumped up again. This makes sense on a low-mileage engine like I have and my previous CTS which had far higher mileage didn't show it anywhere near so much. Since it always starts I have stopped worrying about it and take it as just a characteristic of the engine.

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
486 Posts
To check your theory, use the flood clear feature which turns over the engine (and oil pump) without actually starting the car. Just hold the gas petal to the floor as you try to start the car. It should not start but will spin the engine. Obviously remove your foot from the petal immediately if it does start lol. This will prime your oil galleries etc before you actually start the car normally. Let us know what happens. Good Luck.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6
6 Posts
What a good idea CWB! Just checked this as you suggested after car was standing unused for 2 days. First turned over slowly, as normal then after a short while turnover speed markedly picked up without firing (I kept my foot down to avoid fuel going through).

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
918 Posts
To check your theory, use the flood clear feature which turns over the engine (and oil pump) without actually starting the car. Just hold the gas petal to the floor as you try to start the car. It should not start but will spin the engine. Obviously remove your foot from the petal immediately if it does start lol. This will prime your oil galleries etc before you actually start the car normally. Let us know what happens. Good Luck.
That's great info. But please explain. When you press the gas down, the fuel gets pushed thru but with no ignition? In the old days, before fuel injection, we were told to press the pedal all the way down and then release to 1/2 way before turning the key. That was to prime the Carb. But I cannot remember the real reason behind that.

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
486 Posts
Things have gotten complicated with all the computer controls. Holding gas to the floor now opens the throttle plate to clear a flooded condition. GM did not want the car to start with floored gas so they cut the ignition off when ya did this. But the engine does spin which drives the oil pump and if flooded - clears the flooded condition. There is no extra squirt of fuel by pumping the gas. For engine builders, now this is a great way to prime all the oil galleries before that critical first start of a new engine.

It also cuts off the gas which should be obvious if you are clearing a flooded condition.

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
309 Posts
Check your battery voltage also. It should be approximately 12.5 to 13 when it's just sitting there and around 14 to 14.5 when the car is running.

Roy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts