Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an engine temp gauge in there 2003 Cadillac CTS? If yes, I would like to see some pictures of your install. I want to install one, just don't know where to mount it inside the car. The driver side pillar would be a good place if it wasn't for the air bag system. Don't want to mess with that! Any comments or info would be great. Thanks, Tommy.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
why go thru all of that, when you can pick up an instrument cluster from an 04-07 and get the engine temp cage. this part is interchangeable. the only thing you would need to do, is get the miles corrected on the newer instrument cluster...

·
Registered
CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why go thru all of that, when you can pick up an instrument cluster from an 04-07 and get the engine temp cage. this part is interchangeable. the only thing you would need to do, is get the miles corrected on the newer instrument cluster...
What type of mod's if any to the wiring? Very good idea, I never thought of that. Are you saying that my existing 03 wire connector will simply plug into the 04-07 cluster and the temp gauge will operate correctly? That's awesome! Thank you for your support, Tommy.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
Yes, all the wiring is there. As far as I know, the temp is done through the Class2 data wire. So it doesn't care if the temp gauge is there or a clock, such as yours. So when you get the new cluster, the temp will work as normal. But like tx said, you will have to get the new cluster's miles corrected with your current one. There is a company that will do it for a charge of course. All you have to do is send both clusters via mail to the company and pay them. They will send both back to you. That is all that I know, I have no idea how much or the name of the company. I've just seen threads on it here before.

KOT

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
It's called Specmo and they are in Mich. They charge 60 to 80. They can also replace the lens if you need one. I replaced my 03 with an 06 and it works great. All the gauges are accurate.

specmo 800-545-7910 ask for Vicki

·
Registered
CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! Thanks so much for that info. Does anyone have a picture of the cluster that has the temp gauge in it? I would like to see what it looks like. If you post a picture of one, let me know what the year is. Also, does the engine size and transmission type have to be the same? I would think for the Speedometer it has to be the same. My 2003 Cadillac CTS has a 3.2L V-6 with an automatic trans. Thanks for your support, Tommy.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
920 Posts
I also have the 03, 3.2 engine, auto trans. When the 04 model came out I changed over to that cluster because I was tired of the clock always being off and I wanted the temp gauge. Dealer did the complete change over. The cluster light is white and it looks good. The newer models also look different than the 04 model. Whichever one you choose will be better than what you have now.

Attachments

·
Registered
CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also have the 03, 3.2 engine, auto trans. When the 04 model came out I changed over to that cluster because I was tired of the clock always being off and I wanted the temp gauge. Dealer did the complete change over. The cluster light is white and it looks good. The newer models also look different than the 04 model. Whichever one you choose will be better than what you have now.
Is this a picture of the 2004 Cluster that you installed? Where is the engine temp gauge located, I don't see it. Thank you, Tommy.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
the engine temp gauge is on the left where the analog clock would normally be

·
Registered
CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kingoftypos, the Ebay link did open up for me. I looked at several CTS clusters. The one below caught my eye. This one is for a 2006-2007 CTS. Looks like the engine temp gauge may be the one at the far lower right side of the cluster. Can anyone confirm this? FastCTS is this what your 2004 Cluster looks like? Again, I need to know if the engine and trans from both cars have to match? In other words, will a cluster from a V-8 work on my V-6? I would think the V-8 trans gears may be different, giving me a false MPH reading. Anyone know the answer to this one? Thanks for your support, Tommy.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
in the picture you posted, yes the temp guage is in the lower right corner...ont he pic fastcts posted it, it in the lower left corner...and it does not matter for the engine size and what not. there has been somebody on here who has taken a cts-v instrument cluster and installed it in there regular CTS and it worked...

here is the link for the V cluster...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum.../147127-cts-v-cluster-installed-06-sport.html

·
Registered
CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
in the picture you posted, yes the temp guage is in the lower right corner...ont he pic fastcts posted it, it in the lower left corner...and it does not matter for the engine size and what not. there has been somebody on here who has taken a cts-v instrument cluster and installed it in there regular CTS and it worked...

here is the link for the V cluster...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum.../147127-cts-v-cluster-installed-06-sport.html
Awesome! Good info. Thanks for the support, Tommy.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
The CTS-C cluster will work, but to a point. This is from the first posting...
Issues:
-Trans temp and oil temp are dead, as I figured.
-When I put it in DRIVE, on the right DIC screen it shows "M5" next to the speed. What the heck?? And the tap shift function (which I never use) doesn't indicate what gear you are in anymore, like it does with the original cluster.
-The tachometer -might- be off, but I'm not sure on that one. Does anyone know if a tach filter would fix that problem? (inline resistor or whatever it is)

So if you like to be able to keep it as stock as you can, in other words no "M5" or unable to see the temp for the trans temp(the engine temp will still work) and what not. Stick with the regular CTS.

The picture that you posted, I have no idea where that one came from. But from the looks of it, as far as mounting taps on the top. It's not going to fit.

I personally like the 06 CTS's cluster, chrome out line of the dials, white leds for lights and such. If I may add this, please get that worry some out of your mind about the MPH. That is done by the ecm, which is NOT in the cluster. So it really doesn't care how many gears or what size engine. This is not a old style cable that attaches to the needle.

KOT

·
Registered
CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very good! With all this good info, I just have to make up my mind, as to which cluster to get. As of right now, I'm leaning on the 2004 CTS cluster. Thanks again to all, for your comments, suggestions and info, Tommy.

·
Registered
CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The CTS-C cluster will work, but to a point. This is from the first posting...
Issues:
-Trans temp and oil temp are dead, as I figured.
-When I put it in DRIVE, on the right DIC screen it shows "M5" next to the speed. What the heck?? And the tap shift function (which I never use) doesn't indicate what gear you are in anymore, like it does with the original cluster.
-The tachometer -might- be off, but I'm not sure on that one. Does anyone know if a tach filter would fix that problem? (inline resistor or whatever it is)

So if you like to be able to keep it as stock as you can, in other words no "M5" or unable to see the temp for the trans temp(the engine temp will still work) and what not. Stick with the regular CTS.

The picture that you posted, I have no idea where that one came from. But from the looks of it, as far as mounting taps on the top. It's not going to fit.

I personally like the 06 CTS's cluster, chrome out line of the dials, white leds for lights and such. If I may add this, please get that worry some out of your mind about the MPH. That is done by the ecm, which is NOT in the cluster. So it really doesn't care how many gears or what size engine. This is not a old style cable that attaches to the needle.

KOT
Kingoftypos, so if I purchase the 2004 CTS cluster, I will still have to deal with the issues that you are talking about above, is that correct? Thank you, Tommy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts