Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run an auxiliary cable directly from my stereo, and was wondering if the 2003 CTS has the same system as the 2006 which most of the tutorials are on. If not, what's the best way to run a direct aux cable in an '03 CTS? Thanks.

·
Registered
CTS 2003
12 Posts
I have same question. Most people who installed MP3 AUX jack have 2004 or higher. Anyone tried it on a no Nav no BOSE, 2003 CTS? I checked Neo Pro Link and it shows that its non compatable with 2003. Help, what options do i have? Also my stupid audio system can't detect XM when i list trough BANDS. Help!

·
Registered
'06 CTS
81 Posts
this question has been asked over and over... and no one has really found a perfect answer. the long and short of it is, if you don't have XM hardware you won't be able to run an aux cable. you'll have to settle for an FM modulator or other less-than-desirable solution.

·
Registered
CTS 2003
12 Posts
My Manual shows that i do indeed have XM radio as well as XM antenna on the rear window. How do i check for the XM hardware?

·
Registered
CTS 05
716 Posts
search the forum for xm radio aux or checkout this FM Modulator

or go to the FAQ's page for mods

·
Registered
'06 CTS
81 Posts
My Manual shows that i do indeed have XM radio as well as XM antenna on the rear window. How do i check for the XM hardware?
if you have XM then i see no reason why you can't do this mod:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud-noswitch/index.html

although if you don't get an XM channel when scrolling through your sources on the radio, you'll have to get that figured out. not sure how to do that but if you have the hardware, it shouldn't be too hard.

FYI, if you do this install, make sure you have some good clamps to secure the cut wires together. i added the aux cable a few months ago and already my right channel is starting to cut out on me.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,337 Posts
are you sure you are not confusing this with the OnStar antenna? i have never seen XM on the rear window

·
Registered
None
13 Posts
2004, no Bose, no nav: I have the wire coming out of the headliner near the right top of the rear window and the little square thing glued to the galss. The outside part of the antenna has been removed. Is that the antenna for the XM radio?? Or OnStar?? Both? I have neither activated. When I push to button to change from AM to FM1 to FM2, etc., there is no XM radio option. Does that mean the radio won't do XM or it only pops up if you have it activated?

·
Registered
Ex-CTS owner
1,229 Posts
Unless you want to spend a few hundred on buying the parts and modding it (even then, it's only an audio cable, so you won't be able to charge the iPod while playing it), the answer is no. I found iTrip to be work pretty well and it is pretty convenient. If you have to have a string connecting your iPod to your radio, get an aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
im working on a better solution that will work with every tape player....2 diffeent designs... one is perminant with a audio jack and one is swapable, wireless from any tape deck....it will be a couple weeks but the wireless will be done first then ill be experimenting with the input wire.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Look at your options here: .

I have an 03 cts and I went with the fm transmitter (not the portable one!)

Your going to need
FM100A FM Modulator with IST2 Isolation Transformer
PH62089 Stereo Mini-Male to 2 RCA-Male
Radio Antenna Adapter Cadillac CTS 03 04 05
It works great. You dont get any static and it even works under tunnels or other areas where you typically wouldn't get reception.

BUT ITS NOT CD Quality but its better then nothing!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
CTS 2003
12 Posts
Thanks for your help bullet, with your fm transmitter, can you control your ipod through your searing wheel controls.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for your help bullet, with your fm transmitter, can you control your ipod through your searing wheel controls.
The only thing you can control is the volume on the car NOT THE IPOD!

You cant change songs. The name of the songs dont show up on you DIC. You have to do change tracks on the IPOD. Also I have my ipod on about 75% volume. If you put it at 100% then it will distort the sound and you'll get cracking... If you go too low you will here the static. But there is a sweet spot that doesn't have a bad sound... It was about 60$ mod.

Its a very simple mod.

Im stupid as sh!t when it comes to electrical but this took me about 40 min.

·
Registered
05 CTS
1,395 Posts
Look at your options here: .

I have an 03 cts and I went with the fm transmitter (not the portable one!)

Your going to need
FM100A FM Modulator with IST2 Isolation Transformer
PH62089 Stereo Mini-Male to 2 RCA-Male
Radio Antenna Adapter Cadillac CTS 03 04 05
It works great. You dont get any static and it even works under tunnels or other areas where you typically wouldn't get reception.

BUT ITS NOT CD Quality but its better then nothing!

Hope this helps
Got tips on how to install or a DIY guide?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Got tips on how to install or a DIY guide?
I should have made a write up when I done it.

The FM transmitter has a wiring diagram. Its very simple. All you do is cut and split the power wire (Its red and I believe its on the bottom plug) on the radio and solder it to the power wire in the transmitter (also red). Ground out the FM transmitter. I placed it between a screw and a washer its located directly behind the radio to the frame of the car.

Then Attach the antenna adapter to the radio antenna. I drilled a hold next to the cigarette lighter for the on and off switch so its hidden. Connect the PH62089 Stereo Mini-Male to 2 RCA-Male to the back of the FM transmitter, and either you can snake it through your center console or snake it to your glove box.

The thing your modifying is the power wire. Other then that the rest is plug and play

IF you want I can post some pictures

Hope this helps

·
Registered
05 CTS
1,395 Posts
I should have made a write up when I done it.

The FM transmitter has a wiring diagram. Its very simple. All you do is cut and split the power wire (Its red and I believe its on the bottom plug) on the radio and solder it to the power wire in the transmitter (also red). Ground out the FM transmitter. I placed it between a screw and a washer its located directly behind the radio to the frame of the car.

Then Attach the antenna adapter to the radio antenna. I drilled a hold next to the cigarette lighter for the on and off switch so its hidden. Connect the PH62089 Stereo Mini-Male to 2 RCA-Male to the back of the FM transmitter, and either you can snake it through your center console or snake it to your glove box.

The thing your modifying is the power wire. Other then that the rest is plug and play

IF you want I can post some pictures

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info. PICs would be great. waiting for my kappa 10" SUB, 1000Watt Amp, HIDs and LEDs to come in. I want to do everything while I have the bumper and rear deck/seat out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts