Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'03 Cadillac CTS 3.2L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the site but couldn't find any information on the CTS for this specific action.

My A/C Compressor has gone bad. I was thinking of measuring with a string for a new belt to bypass the A/C.

Is this safe for this engine? I've done it on a 1990 Deville with no problems. The 2003 CTS is a very touchy car in my opinion so just wanted to make sure.
Was also wondering if anybody knew anyone who had done this before and what the measurement might be.

Thanks!

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,802 Posts
Why would you want to? If the clutch is not engaged then it won't harm anything if the belt is still on it.

But doesn't the 3.2 only have one belt for the accessories?

KOT

·
Registered
'03 Cadillac CTS 3.2L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The a/c would make a loud grinding noise. I found a belt that worked perfectly I'll post the measurements when i get back home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post but wanted to post the information here since it never got posted.

I had a similar problem, my ac clutch seems to be fine but the pully is all seized up and chunky causing a bunch of noise and would cause failure at some point. With one belt that'd mean it would strand me, no good. Money is a little tight at the moment and so rather than spending the $300 to replace the compressor pump I decided to spend $30 to bypass it for now.

I was able to measure that I needed a 74.5 inch belt which turned out to be a Dayco 5060470. Belt fits perfect and car runs great bypassing the ac. No check engine light or anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Some cars actually have a bypass pulley in place of the compressor(Dont know if they make this for the CTS). Ive put one on a cavalier, that wouldnt even turn over. And thats with a new battery and starter. The compressor was siezed so bad, it prevented the engien from turning over at all. This or the shorter belt would work fine. The compressor is at the bottom on the drivers side. Probably be a little aggrivating to get out. Probably have to remove the PS pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, first off my apologies to bring the thread back from the dead, when I put in the dayco # for the belt it’s 47.6” or something not 74.5”, is this correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts