Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I'm posting this in the right place. I think my sunroof drains are clogged I wanted to know where the front 2 come out under the car to see if the clog starts there. 2002 cadillac sts

·
Registered
2002 STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can anyone tell me where the front two drain tubes end under a 2002 sts dealing with the sunroof

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Somewhere above and behind the front wheels. You have to remove the plastic wheel well liners.

·
Registered
2002 STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks I located one problem my driver side drain tube has a crack in it near top don't know passenger side doesn't drain haven't found any cracks. Ran weedeater wire down both didn't unblock passenger side. I think it may have been replaced already because passenger side tube is black driver side tube is clear. Wonder how hard they are to replace.

·
Registered
2002 STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the sts have just 2 drain tubes for the sunroof or 4 if 4 I don't see how you would access the rear 2. Its ridiculous having saturated carpets water leaking on me as I drive very frustrating

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,405 Posts
Re: Leaking Sunroof - Seville, Deville, Eldorado

We have 4 sunroof pan drain tubes. 2 run from the front corner of the drain pan down the A-pillars to the inner fenderwell liner area. The rear 2 run from the (impossible to see) rear pan corners, across the headliner to the sail panels, down into the trunk and into the rear fenderwell liner area.

All 4 have a flapper valve arrangement at the lower ends - cut off the flappers. All they do is collect mud and stop drain flow.

Please do NOT hijack other threads. Posts moved to your previous sunroof drain thread.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Big Awes said:
I think it may have been replaced already because passenger side tube is black driver side tube is clear.
Mine, and all others I've seen in the salvage yard with the pillar trim removed are like that.

·
Registered
Seville STS 2003
112 Posts
Re: Leaking Sunroof - Seville, Deville, Eldorado

We have 4 sunroof pan drain tubes. 2 run from the front corner of the drain pan down the A-pillars to the inner fenderwell liner area. The rear 2 run from the (impossible to see) rear pan corners, across the headliner to the sail panels, down into the trunk and into the rear fenderwell liner area.

All 4 have a flapper valve arrangement at the lower ends - cut off the flappers. All they do is collect mud and stop drain flow.

Please do NOT hijack other threads. Posts moved to your previous sunroof drain thread.
My trunk is wet all the time and living in rainy Seattle without a garage, it is brutal. The spare tire section is always wet with inches of water in it. You recommend cutting off the flappers - Do this first or try to run something down the tubes first - If so, what to run down the tubes?
Then getting to the rear flappers - where are they?
As I am after a fix to my wet trunk might these sunroof tubes be one source of the trunk water problem?

·
Administrator
68,405 Posts
Yep ^^^

For the 1998 - 2004 Sevilles ..............

The front 2 tubes come out just inside the plastic wheelwell liner, up about a foot from the lower edge. They run from the front corners of the sunroof drain pan, down through the a-pilllar covers.

The rear tubes exit down in the front area of the wheelwell. Open the trunk and remove the carpeting from the inside of the inside of the body fenderwell. You'll see where the tubes drop down from the sail panels and disappear up into the headliner. They're attached to the rear corners of the drain pan and are inaccessible without removing the headliner.

Leaking/weeping sunroof glass seal is the clogging culprit. It takes monthly maintenance to keep a good seal. Get the tubes clean and flowing - using a slight incline and car orientation you can check one tube at a time for flow: The lowest corner should drain first, using a small cup of water poured into the channel carefully.

With all tubes clear, open the sunroof to the vent position. Using Armor All or Son of a Gun clean the rubber seal lip. Close the glass and slide it fully rearward. Clean the rubber seal lip as before. Now, using a fingertip, wipe a barely discernible film of silicone dielectric grease on the seal lip and body painted lip. If you can see the grease it's too much. Now close the glass and go to vent position, using the grease on the same lip and body lip. Operate the glass several times. (Silicone dielectric ignition grease. On the counter or sealant racks at any parts store. GREAT for weaherstrip.)

Factory spec for the glass is level with the roof at the front, level to +0.5mm at the rear. The 4 Torx or Philips screws at the inner sides of the glass rails (#2 in the sunroof blowup) are used for adjustment and must be checked for tightness every 6 months. If the sunroof glass is loose or out of alignment it will leak like a sieve and maybe not operate correctly.

Click to enlarge, use your browser <-- to back out.

Attachments

·
Registered
Seville STS 2003
112 Posts
Very good - thank you for this information. I will try the .080 this afternoon and let you know. As to the flapper rear flappers that I believe in another post you recommended cutting them off, what this post is saying is I should see the tubes on either side once I remove the floor carpet only, or do I also remove the liner where the trunk light switch is also? / Thank you / Jim

·
Administrator
68,405 Posts
You can get to the rear hoses over the top of the wheelwell body metal..........I don't recall removing the center carpet trim...... but I did have to jury-rig a wire tie to hold the center of it up - it was sagging at the trunk light fixture area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts