1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... I had a few technical questions:

1. Can you do an Idle WOT? (in neutral)

2. Does using the gear selector increase the chances of transmission damage?

3. Check Engine light came on: Diagnostics reveal a "fuel converter below efficiency level". Is this the catylitic converter? if so, I hear its free to replace, true or false?"

4. The silver trim around the side windows has a ding in it... anyone know what is cost to replace that? or just fix it?

I appriciate the expert advice as well as the experienced tips. I mean... i'm head over heals with this car... what a confident smooth ride... once I stopped driving it like the engine was made of glass.

·
Registered
873 Posts
1.) Yes, you could but it would be so much more worthwhile to do it out on the freeway/interstate.

2.) Using the gear selector really won't make much of a difference besides your 1-2 shift. If you put the shifter in 1 or 2 it will increase pressure resulting in a "firm" 1-2 shift. I wouldn't do this each time, but it will not hurt it on rare occasions. We have a solid transmission.

3.) It may very well be the cat, and depending on your mileage you may be eligible for a free replacement.

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol at #1... true true.... i just didnt know if it was the 100+ mph wind rushing through the grill... or the 6.5 rpm that made the difference. or both.

@ #3 I think he told me 8 years or 80,000

thanks esteees

any one familiar with the peice im talkin bout for # 4? the silver trim around the window... can that even be replaced?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
1. Can you do an Idle WOT? (in neutral)
:tisk:NO! Never go WOT in neutral. It is rev limited in neutral to about 4000 RPM for a reason.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
:alchi:The technical side of a WOT is that acceleration to redline in both 1st and 2nd places heavy loads on the piston and ring areas. Then, the long foot-off-the-pedal deceleration to 20 mph or so unloads the pistons and rings and allows the rings to turn in the grooves, cleaning out carbon and combustion debris which build up slowly from low-RPM driving. As Ranger says, neutral throttle is limited to around 4,000 RPM, while a 1-2 WOT will redline at about 6,250. A well cared for N* will run at 6,250 all day. If you want to learn about your transmission, head for the country and practice manual upshifts and downshifts at various speeds until you can drive it like it had a 4-speed stick. Very eye-opening. GM did their homework, and I personally feel that some of the perceived trans problems in our year group come from NOT using the thing to its full capabilities once in a while. I'm doing a complete change to DEXRON VI next Wednesday, so will post some thoughts.......

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
re #3: I was getting intermittent "check engine" warning after WOT and it came up as a 420 code which I was told could be anything from an O2 sensor to the cat. It turned out to be the cat. The good news is that it is covered up to 8/80 and will be done for no charge by Cadillac. They will have to check and confirm before doing the work. One thing- when my mechanic found the problem I was told the GM fix was one piece replacement from in front of the cat to the tail pipes. Cadillac told me the superceded fix was to cut out the cat and resonator and graft into the pipes and mufflers. That's what they did and everything seems fine. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts