Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Been a while since I posted on the forums. Here's and issue I have at hand. My friend bought an SLS back in 2003 and a few days ago he started it up and heard loud firing noises coming from his engine bay. I took a look at it and come to find out, the spark plug literally popped out of it's hole. I looked at the plug and it looks like which ever person changed the spark plugs last had it cross threaded. So I went to my work, picked up some plugs and came back to put them in. To my surprise, the hole this happened in was stripped so bad, the spark plug just slides into the hole.

So my question is, has anyone ever done a heli-coil kit on a Northstar? Also, can it be done with the head on the block? I know the trouble of removing a head on a north star. The only up side to this is it's on the front cylinders.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
If its stripped that badly I'd expect you're looking at replacing the head. At least you can Timesert or stud the block while the motor is out... :nono:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,115 Posts
No need to Timesert it. This is a plug hole, not a head bolt hole. Since it is on the front bank, I think you are in luck and can helicoil the hole without any problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts