Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Seville SLS 2002
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope that name ("ride height sensor") is the correct name of the fractured part.

It was attached to the left rear wheel/suspension. It is broken, was hanging loose, and I've taken it off. I've attached 2 pictures of the broken part.

Other than take to dealership, and have them replace as many related assemblies as they can think of <g>, any ideas on best course of action? By this I mean:

Is it possible to replace only the part that I've pictured?
Is there any source other than GM?
Is it even likely that the electronic box to which this part attaches still functions?

As well as any wisdom that others may have gained, likely through hard experience.

Thanks to all.

Attachments

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
I hope that name ("ride height sensor") is the correct name of the fractured part.

It was attached to the left rear wheel/suspension. It is broken, was hanging loose, and I've taken it off. I've attached 2 pictures of the broken part.

Other than take to dealership, and have them replace as many related assemblies as they can think of <g>, any ideas on best course of action? By this I mean:

Is it possible to replace only the part that I've pictured?
Is there any source other than GM?
Is it even likely that the electronic box to which this part attaches still functions?

As well as any wisdom that others may have gained, likely through hard experience.

Thanks to all.
===================
WOW - I've never seen one break like that before -

yes - that is PART of the ride-height sensor -
and the shaft is obviously broken -

there are no aftermarket replacement parts -
you might get lucky and find one on ebay - or at a salvage yard -

oh - and when looking for a good used one -
it MUST come from an SLS model Seville -
the STS models use a totally different part -

found this one on ebay - $100 -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEVEL-CONTROL-SENSOR-GM-OEM-22153656-auto-air-self-ride-height-rear-suspension-/261908828821?fits=Year:2002|Model:Seville&hash=item3cfafb9295&vxp=mtr

--------------------------------

there is a cheaper solution -
you can buy the Monroe AK29 manual-fill kit - $12 -
and inflate/deflate the air shocks manually -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
A dealership will rape you for parts and labor........... but the ride height sensor (you may have two) is NOT inexpensive. It/they control the rear ride height by sending info to the suspension module, PCM and the ELC compressor/shock bladder system. Without it the rear end will gradually sag down due to no height control info.

You can DIY, but it involves a new $230++ sensor, car up in the air, wheel off, hand tools.

www.rockauto.com - Suspension, Suspension ride height sensor

www.nalleygmc.com

www.gmpartsgiant.com

Here's what it looks like, intact - LR (EDIT: Your level sensor is the type with the adjustable arm - you can adjust rear ride height by fiddling with the bolt in the arm itself - note where the setting is on your broken piece and start from there with the new one.)

Attachments

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
the SLS has only one sensor -
and it's mounted on the inside of the chassis -
not on the outside like the STS -

no need to remove the wheel - can't see it from there -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts