Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trunk latch, fuel door release, garage door operator all ceased working simultaneously. Checked fuses for each and none are blown. What's next? HELP!

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
Re: 2002 Seville SLS electrical issues

For the trunk release and fuel door...check the wire loom behind the driver's side trunk hinge. Pull back the carpet and pop the harness out of it's mounts and open the loom. You'll likely find some wires broken as the factory mounted this harness rather tight and in winter weather, the wires are hard and have no give in them, so they break when the trunk swings open.

Not a difficult fix, reconnect the wires and you should be good to go. Pop it out of place at the back to give the whole loom some slack to prevent more damage. Your tailight panel and reverse lights may not be working either, so good idea to check it out soon. If this doesn't work, check the grounds in the lower rear corners behind the carpet, near the wheel wells.

Not sure about the Homelink transmitter, maybe someone else has some ideas on this.

·
Registered
2002 SLS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: 2002 Seville SLS electrical issues

Thanks for your input. I will try this and let you know if it works.

·
Registered
2002 SLS
8 Posts
Re: 2002 SLS electrical issues

After examining the possibility of broken wires near the Driver side trunk hinge and finding none were broken, I opened the glove box, turned the Valet switch to the OFF position and that fixed everything. Including the Homelink transmitter!

I have no clue as to whythe Valet switch worked but it did. Thank you very much Centaur and Submariner!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,392 Posts

If you read your owner's manual you'll learn what the valet switch is for and how it works.

You should have two key fobs, #1 and #2 as well as 3 PK3 keys - two black, one gray. The gray one is the Valet key. Each PK3 key has the same transponder in it, but the Valet key is mechanically different and will not unlock the glove box or trunk.

HINT: Valet = parking attendant; not the vehicle owner. You set the valet switch, lock the glove box with your black key and give the gray key to the valet. He/she may unlock the driver's door and start the car, but cannot open the glove box, fuel door, trunk, or your garage door.

Using the fobs, you personalize the car (owner's manual again) for yours - Fob 1, and hers, Fob 2. You unlock the car with your fob and it thinks "Here he comes !". You get in and stick your key in the ignition lock cylinder. The transponder says "Key inserted" and the system adjusts the car to your settings. Do the same with Fob 2. (You unlock the car with her fob, get in and stick your key in the ignition lock cylinder and the car adjusts to her settings and squishes you into the steering wheel.) The key is not the personalization machine - the fobs are.

·
Registered
2002 SLS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Submariner409: Thank you for this thorough explanation regarding keys and so forth. Now if I can figure out why some areas of "memory recall"
have ceased working my13 year old car will be almost like it was when I bought it in 2004. The auto exit for wheel raise and seat moved rearward
for easy exit no longer work. Can you provide any insight toward correcting this?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,392 Posts
Have you tried to set the steering column and seat to your preferred position, pressed MEM, pressed EXIT ?

Otherwise, maybe door switch panel or wiring faults. If the seat moves in response to either manual or key fob commands then it's not the underseat electricals .................

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2001 low mileage STS. Common problems to this thread but Valet switch was off. Had read many other threads and used several of them to access the RIM module behind the rear seat cushion. Turned out unplugging the unit
and replugging in the two harnesses (previous thread suggested some corrosion on pin connectors) corrected ALL my door locking, interior lights, security system, fuel lid open and trunk release. You guys were collectively great and it only
cost me a few hours of sweat and zero dollars. A separate thread detailing the 4 clips holding the top of the rear back cushion in the STS saved me from wrecking the cushion. I would only note you can press in on the two tabs holding the RIM module in the holder, slide it out, and then more easily remove the two sets of colored retainers for each harness from the RIM. Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts