Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
18 Posts
I believe that you have an ABS module that is bypassing internally causing the brake pedal to go to the floor. Stabilitrak and ABS are all related. I had to replace every hub on Pontiac that had been setting for extended periods of time plus two wheel speed sensor harness cables.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm thinking about the same ........ Now my question is this - The abs module is the black box - with all the wires connecting to it - under driver door?

Iv checked u and c codes - there are no codes except the c0288

Here is my question and this may sound like a goofy question but let me do my best.....

I have another abs control module - it's off a chevy avalanche...... It is my understanding I need one from the exact truck like mine ( programming wise )..... If I installed the chevy avalanche abs control module - is it likely my brakes will come back ( I understand I may not have abs ) but I was hoping I could get my brakes to return to noraml temporarorly and send my control modular off for rebuild?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I believe that you have an ABS module that is bypassing internally causing the brake pedal to go to the floor. Stabilitrak and ABS are all related. I had to replace every hub on Pontiac that had been setting for extended periods of time plus two wheel speed sensor harness cables.
Above

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
402 Posts
The ABS unit has 2 parts. The ABS controller is the black box with the connector. The ABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) is the big block with the brake lines and the motor attached. They both need to be the correct part for your truck. The Controller also needs to be programmed for your specific VIN.
The loss of pedal is most likely in the HCU and not the controller. If you have an HCU that might fix your issue but if it has air in it you may need to do an tech 2 bleed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have a scanner that can bleed.
The unit I have - it is from a chevy avalanche with all the same setup as mine! Do you know if it Will work with? It looks identical.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The hardware should work but you will most likely get abs/tcs lights. The ECU will need to be reprogrammed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The hardware should work but you will most likely get abs/tcs lights. The ECU will need to be reprogrammed.
Even if I leave the - brake modular/controller
( computer ) and just change the hardware.... Sorry wanna make sure I'm clear..... Since theree are no code for the ( controller it's self ) I was thinking I could just swap out hardware.....

Someone said you can manually bleed these brakes but it takes forever - do you know if this is true?

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you swap over the controller you will probably be ok.
If air gets into certain parts of the ABS system there is no way to get it out without the ABS bleed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a scan tool capable of ABS bleeding - however when I try to bleed ( the scan tool ) refuses to do so until codes issues are fixed..... As soon as I clear the codes ( the c0288 comes right back )....... Iv had 2 different Master cylinders with 2 different brake pressure switchs - the only thing I haven't changed is the yaw sensor. I. Gonna make my way back out to the salvage yard and see if I can find one...... Someone said when I change it I gotta take it to the dealer to have it reprogramed.
You don't have to have it reprogrammed I don't think because I have a code scanner that tells me what sensor and modules are bad or having issues and after replacing my Yaw Rate Sensor/Lateral Accelerometer my code automatically went away. I know on the 2002 Cadillac Escalade the Yaw Rate module is under the from cupholders but I think the years after that I've heard it got moved to under the driver seat but it could very well be under the front cupholders still.

·
Registered
311 Posts
C0288 CADILLAC Possible Causes 1.Faulty Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor 2.Faulty Yaw Rate Sensor/Lateral Accelerometer

·
Registered
402 Posts
You don't have to have it reprogrammed I don't think because I have a code scanner that tells me what sensor and modules are bad or having issues and after replacing my Yaw Rate Sensor/Lateral Accelerometer my code automatically went away. I know on the 2002 Cadillac Escalade the Yaw Rate module is under the from cupholders but I think the years after that I've heard it got moved to under the driver seat but it could very well be under the front cupholders still.
The ABS controller needs to be programmed to recognize the VIN. The vehicle broadcasts the VIN number on the CAN bus and if the controller receives a different VIN than what it is programmed to receive it will set a code.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts