Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2002 ETC ECS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Eldorado ETC Collector Series this car was suppose to have a stainless exhaust, but the mufflers are rusting. I'm looking to replace the system from the cat back. any comments or suggestions.

·
Registered
'72 Eldorado Convertible, '97 Eldorado ETC, '93 Fleetwood
1,024 Posts
have a friend that can weld.

We did the cat on an '02 DHS, and it was pretty straightforward. We dropped everything from the cat back, he made a couple of welds, and a bit of wrench work.

Maybe a couple of supports to hold it up as you reattach.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
You're in the exhaust shop custom stainless steel welding business. Be careful which mufflers/resonator you use or you''ll create a drone that will drive you crazy at highway speeds.

The original exhaust system was stainless steel. Here's part of my 2002 original. (Replaced with a CORSA cat-back in 2006)

3.OEM exhaust top-replaced at 35450 mi..jpg

·
2002 ETC ECS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, did the CORSA's change the sound? I can't believe the shape of this system with only 48k miles

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Yes, the CORSA very definitely "changed the sound" for the better. Their catbacks are not made for Deville or Eldorado - or for several earlier Seville model years.

The Corsa has a decent rumble at idle, is very docile around town, has no drone at highway speeds and, when you put your foot in it, it will wake the dead. There's not a baffle in it - it's all straight pipe with tuning cutouts in the resonator and muffler cases. You can see right through the entire system.

CORSA 13.jpg

Here's the resonator - see the rug ?

CORSA 4-No baffles.jpg

You want the least restriction you can achieve - in whatever mufflers you use. And the exhaust and Y-pipes are pretty lousy in the original setup, too (Post #3).

·
2002 ETC ECS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks really good. I'm going to make some inquiries around town and see what we come up with. The weather is getting better, time to remove the cover.

·
Registered
1992 Seville, 2002 Eldorado ETC
80 Posts
I've heard the collector's edition models have a slightly different exhaust from the factory to sound a little throatier than other standard models.

Curious to what your factory system sounds like.. I've been looking for something just a hair louder than my stock ETC setup.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Can't swear to it, but I think they all got the same exhaust systems.

·
2002 ETC ECS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 2002 ETC ECS has an exhaust all its own. Although, it doesn't sound much different then my DTS. Now Sub409 went out to make a difference, his Corsas look awesome.

·
Registered
'72 Eldorado Convertible, '97 Eldorado ETC, '93 Fleetwood
1,024 Posts
that last surge off "collectible" eldorados had their exhaust tuned to sound as close to a '53 as possible.

·
Registered
1992 Seville, 2002 Eldorado ETC
80 Posts
that last surge off "collectible" eldorados had their exhaust tuned to sound as close to a '53 as possible.
I think that's what I was getting at.

Wondering how exactly they're different. Maybe just different mufflers?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts