Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we needed a roomy vehicle. Found a local 2002 Escalade, 172000 miles, black.... Drove it, noticed a few warning lights and non-functional gauges (ABS, Battery, Airbag, Security..radio on but no sound...trans temp, engine temp and fuel gauge), but the price was right. Drove it home the next day, filled it up and realized it was 3/4 full, but the gauge didn't work. No big deal. Friday night, we started cleaning it up and started it several times, no problems. I disconnected the battery in an attempt to reset some of the gauges to no avail and the radio would not power up, but it started up.

Saturday morning, I went out to crank it and the battery was dead. It was undersized to me, but I charged it up and tried. IT would run for a second or two and then die. It did not matter what I did to it, nothing helped. So, I went to the parts house and bought: engine temp sensor, fuel filter, starting fluid and replaced the battery with a 800 CCA. Before replacing everything, I placed the ignition switch in Run for 20 minutes, battery was on slow charge, turned off 20 seconds and nothing. Sprayed starting fluid in throttle body, would run for a few seconds and then die. Then I replaced the temp sensor, fuel filter (gunk came out) and fully charged the battery. Still would not run. So then I did the following:

Key in On/ACC position for 11 minutes, off for 30 seconds--repeated three times---still wont run.
Key in Run position for 60 minutes, off for 1 minute, still wont run...

Disconnected in line of fuel filter, turned key on, fuel is flowing good. I do not have a pressure gauge but depressed the stem on fuel rail, fuel shot out and then dribbled. I had my wife turn key to Run, fuel shot out and then sputtered, tried to start and did same thing---still wont run.

Disconnected battery cable and touched them together to reset and still wont run. checked plugs, they are firing but have black soot on them....

This is what I have now.

Radio will power on, Security stays on constantly unless in run position, then cycles to battery and back. Still wont run. I think either the ECM is done or the fuel pump is faulty.

Any help will be appreciated. I have searched and searched for the answer and cant find anything....

----------

Also, a previous owner has ran a black and red wire out of the supercharger ecm that flashes on when starting and then goes out... dont know if this is related or not...

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
The radio could be blown amp fuse or bad amp(separate fuses for both)

The pcm or bcm could be the cause of the alarm light(not sure without more info) but if the lock light is on while attempting to start the truck then the passlock system is triggered and will disable the truck from starting(if the exterior lights are flashing then the alarm is the cause)

The gauges could be the stepper motors in the cluster needing replacing

·
Registered
Escalade
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean security light when you say "lock light". Also, the lights are not flashing. What other info do you need? Checked all the fuses for radio and amp, they are good and the amp is getting power. I was already leaning towards replacing the bcm. It was hit on right side and repaired. Both gauges do move now when trying to start....

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
dneff said:
Do you mean security light when you say "lock light". Also, the lights are not flashing. What other info do you need? Checked all the fuses for radio and amp, they are good and the amp is getting power. I was already leaning towards replacing the bcm. It was hit on right side and repaired. Both gauges do move now when trying to start....
I would get a pressure test for the fuel pump as it may be bad

If the fuses are good for both the amp and radio then likely the radio may be bad

The bcm is on the driver's side behind the knee bolster(just below the steering column) and wouldn't be effected by any crash damage from the passenger side impact

It may be a bad ground somewhere

·
Registered
Escalade
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will do the pressure test tomorrow. However, if the TDM is activated, will a fuel pressure test be effective?Thanks for your help

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
dneff said:
I will do the pressure test tomorrow. However, if the TDM is activated, will a fuel pressure test be effective?Thanks for your help
If the alarm or passlock system is active it will disable the truck from starting but they both would trigger a light on the dash

Now if the alarm systems aren't preventing the truck from attempting a start procedure and it is getting fuel from the tank I would be checking the regulator as it could be bad

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
dneff said:
The security light is on.....
If it's on steady(not flashing)

That means the passlock system has been triggered and is disabling the truck's injectors and fuel pump

The pass lock sensor is located around the key switch
As far as bypassing it I am unsure if it can be done(could possibly be done)

·
Registered
Escalade
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well........... got up yesterday morning and it started right up and started all day long. I ordered the newrockies module to bypass the system completely. Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
Escalade
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not quite.... but cheap enough that I can put money in it and still come out ahead

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
dneff said:
Well........... got up yesterday morning and it started right up and started all day long. I ordered the newrockies module to bypass the system completely. Thanks for your help..
Glad to help
Mind posting the link you got the bypass module from
I am planning on doing a push button start add on in my truck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts