Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Escalade EXT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the search window but nothing came up. the driver's side mirror started dripping fluid - appears to be a heavy oil, maybe gear oil. Also, the perimeter of the mirror has developed a dark tint to it. Finally, when looking at traffic in the mirror, objects are blurred / fuzzy looking. Anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,498 Posts
Best guess, maybe the power mirror motor may have developed a leak if these motors have any type of lubricant like grease or oil. But, I would think that the amount of grease would be minimum so it should not be enough to drip out the mirror case.

Next best guess, someone placed some grease behind the power mirror on purpose to possible lubricate the mirror motor assembly and the oil is separating from the grease and is running out of the housing.

Oil flowing out of my power mirrors never happen to my 2006 Escalade since I owned it the last five years.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade EXT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the responses'. When mirror is folded in after a trip, this fluid bleeds down side of door. It is similar to a heavy oil like gear oil but if allowed to dry it is very hard to buff out. Flyingdutchman, your opinion makes sense - did not know there was a liquid factor to the auto-dimmer. Sounds like I need to dismantle and R&R the mirror assembly.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,498 Posts
The auto-dimming fluid is dripping
LOL. I thought that was a joke at first, but after some research discovered that some auto dimming mirrors does have conductive liquid crystal fluid inside of them. Learn something new everyday.:)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
View attachment 595013
Thanks for the responses'. When mirror is folded in after a trip, this fluid bleeds down side of door. It is similar to a heavy oil like gear oil but if allowed to dry it is very hard to buff out. Flyingdutchman, your opinion makes sense - did not know there was a liquid factor to the auto-dimmer. Sounds like I need to dismantle and R&R the mirror assembly.
Probably cheaper to just buy a replacement mirror due to the special conductive fluid used in these mirrors, however it maybe possible to source the liquid crystal fluid, refill the mirror, and seal the leak yourself.

Now I got to look for leaky power mirrors on top of keeping an eye out for driveline leaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts