Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were coming home from the Outer Banks back to Richmond this past Saturday night. I had just under 3/4 of a tank but decided to top off on fuel one hour into our 3 hour ride home. About 10 minutes after we left the gas station, the truck started bucking big time. All I could think was "Oh my Lord, I have 2 more hours to get home and my truck is about to break down". I pulled over for a second to make sure it was going to stay running. I was thinking maybe I just got some bad gas at the gas station. We had drove to Cape Hatteras that afternoon and back and it ran fine. It was unusually hot that day though, in the upper 90's. We left about 9:30 at night and this happened around 10:45, but it was still in the low 90's outside.

I pulled back onto the road and it would bog down if I tried to accelerate too hard. If I barely eased on the gas, though, it would slowly pick up speed. So I managed to get it back up to 50 mph. It did this for about 20 miles and then it seemed to smooth on out and I was able to accelerate normally without the bucking and bogging down. This was a relief because there is a tunnel you have to go through in Norfolk that I did not want to get stuck in.

I managed to get out of the Hampton Roads area just fine and about the time I got to Williamsburg, BAM, it happened again. Not a good feeling on Interstate 64 when the speed limit is 65 and I was sputtering down to 45 at times. It really became a problem when I had to go up a hill, since the slightest push against the gas pedal just bogged it down even more. It basically did this until I got home. It actually cut off on me about 2 miles from my house on a back road because the speed limit was 25. I attempted to go up a hill and since I was going so slow, I lost all of my speed and it died before I got over it. It took me about 10 tries to get it restarted and get it home.

I took if for a test drive yesterday and it displayed no problems whatsoever. I picked up the kids today and took it for a significant drive this afternoon and no problems. Engine felt strong and the transmission shifted just fine. This morning I started it up to move it in the driveway and the "Service Engine Soon" light just came on. I haven't had a chance to take it somewhere to see what the code is that made that come on.

My guess is possibly a clogged fuel filter. I even considered that it could have been vapor lock, since it was so hot that evening?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade EXT, 1999 GMC Yukon Denali, 1986 Toyota AE86
75 Posts
This is always a good rule of thumb : If its a fuel related issue the Engine light will not engage. The Engine light only comes on due to the computer sensing something not functioning properly i.e. - Misfire (bad plugs, bad wires etc.) Dirty MAF, Bad 02 Sensor, Really it could be anything! But get the engine scanned and that will tell you exactly what the problem is!

From what you descibed bogging down at full throttle, But driveable could be as simple as a bad misfire, But worst case could be a clogged catalytic converter.

Either way run the codes and see what it comes back with, And then go from there!!

·
Registered
Cadillac
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm definitely gonna run it up to Advanced or Auto Zone this weekend, whomever will scan the computer for me for free. I'll probably due a tune up anyway, but it'll be nice if the code points me in the right direction. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts