Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ETC
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been hearing some rattling from underneath especially when the engine throttles down. The local muffler expert says it’s the catalytic converter rattling. That would’ve been my guess but what do you experts think? If we agree, it’s the cat, what is the general consensus on a replacement make and model. Summit Racing has some high flow cats. Rock Auto has one that’s a little more expensive. Has someone replaced their cat and what your advice?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,636 Posts
Before replacing the (welded in) cat, get the car on a lift and check the entire exhaust system hangers and the cat heat shield. Those are more common sources of odd rattles than failing cat guts.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ETC
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We both looked at the entire exhaust system together. Everything else looked good. He's former Cadillac owner and sounded like he knew what he was talking about. However, when he said $499 installed, I thought that sounded way too high. All the cats I've priced were less than $200 so that's a lot for labor.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,393 Posts
Reach under and whack the CAT with a rubber mallet. Does it rattle?

I just replaced the CAT on my daughters '04 SLS with an Eastern Catalytic CAT (direct fit $160). Drove it cross country to PDX. No problems. The day I left to return home the SES light came on with a P0420 code. :annoyed:
She finally got it to stay off long enough to pass an emissions test (it was starting to look like a replacement was in order).

After that, I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth for aftermarket CATs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts