Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the passenger side wiper on my new 02 stopped moving. Upon investigating, the wiper arm is completely stripped and I'm not sure how damaged the post is because I don't know what it should look like.

The nut was tight so I'm not sure what happened here.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,116 Posts
From my Alldata on the STS it looks like the arm is held onto a tapered serrated post by a nut under a trim cap. Hopefully the arm serrations are stripped (pot metal) and not the drive post. Maybe a careful vertical cleaning with a wire brush will clean out the crap from the post.

Same thing happened to me long ago on a '65 Chevelle SS.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The arm in definitely stripped. It's totally wiped out inside. I'm just not sure how deep or prominent the groves on the post should be and I don't want to damage a new arm. I didn't want to take the other one apart to look and cause another problem.

I'll get a new arm ordered up anyway.

·
Administrator
71,116 Posts
If you have ever seen an axle spline or differential pinion spline, the wiper arm posts are on the same principle but MUCH finer - many more splines to allow fine adjustment of the arm park position on the post...............

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
My 00 Deville didn't have any serations on the post or arm, it was just a taper fit. Pop the trim cover off and tighten the 12 or 13mm bolt thats under the cover.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The nut only tightens so far and it was tight. There are definitely supposed to be serrations on both. The post has very fine serrations and the arm is completely torn up.
My 00 Deville didn't have any serations on the post or arm, it was just a taper fit. Pop the trim cover off and tighten the 12 or 13mm bolt thats under the cover.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I was thinking. The drive mechanism actually isn't that costly but it doesn't look like it's fun to change.

Thank your lucky stars that it is the arm and not the post.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update, so I received the new wiper arm today. Oddly enough the inside of the new arm is smooth as well. So what's that all about?

Now I'm not so sure the problem is the arm. What should I do?

·
Administrator
71,116 Posts
Just looked at Alldata again.........The installation makes no mention of the wiper arm having splines, but the drive post DOES. Dollars to doughnuts the act of tightening the retainer nut scores the arm cavity.

The procedure calls for placing the wiper system OFF, thereby parking the mechanism, installing the wiper arm with blade, and measuring the blade outer tip distance from the windshield lower edge - in my case 3.33" - and tighten the nut.

You'll need the windshield edge/wiper blade tip distance spec for your car.

IF the mechanism won't "park", then there's something wrong with the arm drive lever or linkage down under the plastic air intake grille.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Put some red locktite on the inside of the arm and bolt it back together. Then pray you never have to pull it apart again.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's easy. I have the 01 to look at

I was thinking about some type of Locktite product. Maybe that's the solution.

Just looked at Alldata again.........The installation makes no mention of the wiper arm having splines, but the drive post DOES. Dollars to doughnuts the act of tightening the retainer nut scores the arm cavity.

The procedure calls for placing the wiper system OFF, thereby parking the mechanism, installing the wiper arm with blade, and measuring the blade outer tip distance from the windshield lower edge - in my case 3.33" - and tighten the nut.

You'll need the windshield edge/wiper blade tip distance spec for your car.

IF the mechanism won't "park", then there's something wrong with the arm drive lever or linkage down under the plastic air intake grille.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts