Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 dhs
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have seen multiple threads on here but with no answer, so i figured i better give it a shot. My car will have no problem starting cold, but when i go to the store or get gas (short stops) and turn the key over all my dash lights go out, and the car makes no click or anything sometimes turning the key 30 times. I have read about bad -temianls on batteries but mine was fine. I have some codes that i have pulled i don't know if they lead to what is going on or not. They are all history codes none current
car also has 131k miles
rfa C0760 - Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system sensor not transmitting

sdm B0041 - Left Front/Driver Side Deployment Loop Open

sdm,rcc U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction

rcc U1301 - Class 2 Short to Battery

ipc # U1016 - Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM
irc # U1016 - Loss of Communications with PCM

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,505 Posts
How old is the battery ? If it's the original, you need to start there. When the car has been sitting for a few hours, what's the voltage readout in the DIC with Key:ON and with Key:START ?

·
Registered
2002 dhs
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok the car has been sitting for a few hours and before start i am getting 12.2v and after i start i am getting 15.1v

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
also double check the terminal connections on the battery... weird electrical problems have been solved by tightening and/or re-seating those battery terminal connections

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,505 Posts
12.2 is low. 15.1 is normal for a 2000+ during initial after-start battery charging. It should eventually settle down to 14.6 or so.

·
Registered
2002 dhs
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i warmed it up and turned it off the voltage was sitt'n at 13, so it wouldn't make sense that the car wouldn't start warm if the volts were higher

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Clear the codes and see what comes back right after it fails to start. Possibility of class 2 network issue? Do you have any aftermarket head unit/stereo system?

·
Registered
2002 dhs
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clear the codes and see what comes back right after it fails to start. Possibility of class 2 network issue? Do you have any aftermarket head unit/stereo system?
i will clear codes and see what happens, and no the car is completely stock.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
i warmed it up and turned it off the voltage was sitt'n at 13, so it wouldn't make sense that the car wouldn't start warm if the volts were higher
Voltage is important but only as ONE symptom. I could type for hours on that subject!

Since you have not reported a B1327 trouble code, it is reasonably safe to expect your battery is NOT the problem.

It is possible that the START 1 relay in the underhood fuse box is intermittent, but not likely. It's easy enough and inexpensive enough to install a new relay as a test.

It is also possible that your PassKey system is intermittent, but not likely. Try another key.

Which leaves the starter, or the starter solenoid, as the culprit. Since replacing the starter solenoid takes longer than replacing the complete starter, solenoid only replacement is a crap shoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts