Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2002 Deville won't accelerate

5K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  sefiro 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Car doesn't want to accelerate while in drive . In neutral it revs just fine . replaced the plenum between throttle body and air intake valve ( it was ripped and caused car to idle real high ) and it idle's fine now , just won't get up speed . what do I do ?

Moderator edit: I changed your post title to be more descriptive. You'll get more help that way. -byrdman

#2 ·
Car doesn't want to accelerate while in drive . In neutral it revs just fine . replaced the plenum between throttle body and air intake valve ( it was ripped and caused car to idle real high ) and it idle's fine now , just won't get up speed . what do I do ?
=======================
STEP #1 - ALWAYS - check for DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
if you don't know how - go here -

post any codes you have -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

include whether they are C-Current or H-History -

for code definitions - go here -

here is a how-to video -

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)

Moderator edit: I changed your post title to be more descriptive. You'll get more help that way. -byrdman
When my 97 deville wouldn't accelerate I changed out some spark plug coils that had too high of ohms reading, but it turned out to be the spark plugs themselves even though there was only 5000 miles on them. I guess when the coils are out of spec, they can damage the spark plugs.

When my 97 deville wouldn't accelerate I changed out some spark plug coils that had too high of ohms reading, but it turned out to be the spark plugs themselves even though there was only 5000 miles on them. I guess when the coils are out of spec, they can damage the spark plugs.
By memory, I think the ohms reading on the1997 deville needs to be 6000-8000 ohms and I had some that were over 50,000 ohms, but on way newer cars the spec maybe much different.

By memory, I think the ohms reading on the1997 deville needs to be 6000-8000 ohms and I had some that were over 50,000 ohms, but on way newer cars the spec maybe much different.
Now I see you have a 2002 deville. I'm not sure what the engine code is but in 1997 they had a code 9 (in the VIN) for the deville concours and a code Y for the regular deville and I'm sure the spec on the coils is the same for both engines. If your engine code is a 9 or a Y then I would start measuring the ohms between the studs on each coil with the spark plug wires off when measuring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.