Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some information on and advice as to what to do with my 2002 Deville. At only 54K miles, I already experienced some major mechanical and very costly dealer repairs the last of which fixed replacement of gaskets at the coolant engine intakes. At 43K miles, the engine crank sensors failed and also the front engine mount.

After having the coolant gaskets replaced, I spoke to a knowledgeable person to inquire about the 2002 Devilles. He suggested that I sell the vehicle. Some other reasons for that suggestion were that soon the engine crankcase may crack and leak oil and that the power-window motors may fail as well, the former item being very expensive to repair.

I have spent a great deal of money on my Deville and had not minded until this recent expensive repair because I love the car. Now I am just very unsure as to whether or not it is a good idea to hold onto it any longer lest I end up spending a great deal more money to keep it going.

My vehicle repairs seem major items that no vehicle should have at such a relative low mileage.

Does anybody know of these and other major problems that have plagued the 2002 Deville? Is it time to cut my losses? I really would appreciate any information that you might have on this.

I don't drive my vehicle much; about 7K miles or so the last few years. Could that contribute to all these failures?

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps the best way to evaluate my car's prognosis is to find out whether other 2002 Devilles might have had the same repairs as mine or maybe even other repairs that I have not come across, yet.

With only 50+K miles on it, here are the major repairs my car has had, most recent to oldest:
1. Replaced leaking crossover gaskets
2. Replaced water pump
3. Replaced crank sensors A and B
4. Replaced front engine mount
5. Replaced rack and pinion

The information that I received about the crankcase potentially failing also included the onboard computer eventually putting out either 721 or 731 code, I think.

I would appreciate your comments.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,099 Posts
1, 3 & 4 are common. 2 & 5 where premature I would say.

·
Registered
2015 XTS AWD - Black inside and out
286 Posts
I had two window regulators go in two months they were $70.00 each to replace myself, I heard dealers charge $500.
I have a 2003 with 64,000 miles on it. Every car is different. Mine is reliable
Purchase a new car and see what it costs you...Put out $15,000 for a Ford Fusion and try to compare the ride..
compare what you will spend to fix what you have or to buy something else...It depends what you think "too expensive" is.
it is all up to you. You know your car...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts