Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
I purchased a 2002 Eldorado ETC from a friend of mine who is very sick. This is my first (and last ) Cadillac. My Eldo has 41k miles on it. and after putting 6k into parts and fluids I finally have it road worthy. But after reading all the problems that Cadillac has, I have to wonder, why does an expensive luxury car(s) have so many problems?
I bought my Eldo because my friend needed help, I only drive it occasionally because I don't trust that something may go wrong miles from home. My opinion of Cadillac is not a good one, so I will keep my thoughts private, but I have to ask "why buy a Cadillac"...?
=========================
My Eldo has 41k miles on it. and after putting 6k into parts and fluids I finally have it road worthy.
I SMELL A RAT -
I can't imagine what you could POSSIBLY spend $6000 on parts and fluids with only 41K miles on it -

I only drive it occasionally because I don't trust that something may go wrong miles from home
my advice to you would be to dump the car ASAP - you will never enjoy it -

My opinion of Cadillac is not a good one, so I will keep my thoughts private,
but I have to ask "why buy a Cadillac"...?

buying - owning - driving an old Cadillac isn't for everyone -
there are a couple of sayings that WE recite fairly often -
1) only RICH people can afford to own/drive old Cadillacs -
2) old Cadillacs are cheap to buy - and VERY expensive to own and drive -

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
It's interesting. I've come across two totally different things in the past 2 months that have significant design flaws that have left their owners out in the cold. 1st is the 2002 DeVille that I took for free. Don't get me wrong, it was free, but after scouring the internet and finding my way here and discovering all of the Northstar flaws I was amazed at how bad the product really was. Talking to a bunch of people I always heard the same thing. "It's not a matter of if, but when" the head gaskets/bolts would go on these engines. That's just plain wrong. Can't cover that up with "owning a Cadillac is expensive". It's just wrong. Of course would never be covered under a recall because it's not safety related, and just think. ALL of the engines before 2006.

The other was a Microsoft surface pro 4. Not mine thankfully, but similar in it's design flaws that left the device worthless and not covered under any warranty. Absolute garbage.

As I drive my Ford explorer past 295k miles I look out in the driveway at the red caddy with 75k miles on it and think, when's the last time a car with 75k miles was worthless. Now I'm not complaining, it was free and I'm probably going to give Jim 2,400 to fix it, because how often do you get a 2,400 dollar car that's still in pretty good shape for it's age, but if I were a di-hard Cadillac person I'd have a real hard time staying loyal to the brand. As for Microsoft, I hated their hardware, and the surface pro line backs up my opinion. I've heard bad things about the brand new surface devices. Cadillac on the other hand from what I can see has gotten their act together.

They must call it the "dark times" with the Northstar.

I do want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. There are a good bunch of people on this forum and I'm really lucky that I found my way here.

Roveer

Super Moderator
"It's not a matter of if, but when" the head gaskets/bolts would go on these engines.
There was some truth to that statement in the pre-2000 engines. Not so much on the post 2000's and even less so on the post '04 motors. Check the "Who Can Beat Me - High Mileage" sticky thread in the Northstar forum.

Registered
I'll bet the failure rate was less than 5%. I see lots of old ladies still driving their old Cadillacs oblivious to the flaws, even late 90's ones.

Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
It's interesting. I've come across two totally different things in the past 2 months that have significant design flaws that have left their owners out in the cold. 1st is the 2002 DeVille that I took for free. Don't get me wrong, it was free, but after scouring the internet and finding my way here and discovering all of the Northstar flaws I was amazed at how bad the product really was. Talking to a bunch of people I always heard the same thing. "It's not a matter of if, but when" the head gaskets/bolts would go on these engines. That's just plain wrong. Can't cover that up with "owning a Cadillac is expensive". It's just wrong. Of course would never be covered under a recall because it's not safety related, and just think. ALL of the engines before 2006.

The other was a Microsoft surface pro 4. Not mine thankfully, but similar in it's design flaws that left the device worthless and not covered under any warranty. Absolute garbage.

As I drive my Ford explorer past 295k miles I look out in the driveway at the red caddy with 75k miles on it and think, when's the last time a car with 75k miles was worthless. Now I'm not complaining, it was free and I'm probably going to give Jim 2,400 to fix it, because how often do you get a 2,400 dollar car that's still in pretty good shape for it's age, but if I were a di-hard Cadillac person I'd have a real hard time staying loyal to the brand. As for Microsoft, I hated their hardware, and the surface pro line backs up my opinion. I've heard bad things about the brand new surface devices. Cadillac on the other hand from what I can see has gotten their act together.

They must call it the "dark times" with the Northstar.

I do want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. There are a good bunch of people on this forum and I'm really lucky that I found my way here.

Roveer
=====================
That's just plain wrong. Can't cover that up with "owning a Cadillac is expensive". It's just wrong.
ESPECIALLY when you consider how easy and cheap the final solution was -
longer head bolts with coarse threads -

if I were a di-hard Cadillac person I'd have a real hard time staying loyal to the brand.
I AM - or WAS a loyal Cadillac person -
bought my first Deville - brand new - in 1989 - and have driven nothing but Cadillacs since -
I currently own three Northstar powered cars -
two 2002 DHS model Devilles and one 2003 DHS model Deville -

I will keep these cars FOREVER -
because Cadillac offers absolutely NOTHING that interests me -
and absolutely NOTHING that suits MY needs -

Registered
Neither Caddy is driven in the winter. They stay in the garage a way from the snow and rain. 馃檪
2nd owner; 2001 DHS blown head [email protected] 60,000.... had motor pulled, found a guy in Chicago who installs NP studs...... best money spent on this car(3200$). Low miles excellent shape; if I'm lucky ill be buying antique plates in a 7 yrs. Sure I spent some money; transmission solenoid valve, new front hubs, water pump and struts. A lot of money but what would I get for for the that money toward a new or another used luxury. Hit 80,000 last week and this car rocks....

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
15 Participants
Republicrider