Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
I purchased a 2002 Eldorado ETC from a friend of mine who is very sick. This is my first (and last ) Cadillac. My Eldo has 41k miles on it. and after putting 6k into parts and fluids I finally have it road worthy. But after reading all the problems that Cadillac has, I have to wonder, why does an expensive luxury car(s) have so many problems?
I bought my Eldo because my friend needed help, I only drive it occasionally because I don't trust that something may go wrong miles from home. My opinion of Cadillac is not a good one, so I will keep my thoughts private, but I have to ask "why buy a Cadillac"...?
=========================
My Eldo has 41k miles on it. and after putting 6k into parts and fluids I finally have it road worthy.
I SMELL A RAT -
I can't imagine what you could POSSIBLY spend $6000 on parts and fluids with only 41K miles on it -

I only drive it occasionally because I don't trust that something may go wrong miles from home
my advice to you would be to dump the car ASAP - you will never enjoy it -

My opinion of Cadillac is not a good one, so I will keep my thoughts private,
but I have to ask "why buy a Cadillac"...?

buying - owning - driving an old Cadillac isn't for everyone -
there are a couple of sayings that WE recite fairly often -
1) only RICH people can afford to own/drive old Cadillacs -
2) old Cadillacs are cheap to buy - and VERY expensive to own and drive -

Neither Caddy is driven in the winter. They stay in the garage a way from the snow and rain. 馃檪
=======================
sounds like you have ALL the answers -
good luck -

Registered
2002 DeVille
Discussion Starter #43
It's interesting. I've come across two totally different things in the past 2 months that have significant design flaws that have left their owners out in the cold. 1st is the 2002 DeVille that I took for free. Don't get me wrong, it was free, but after scouring the internet and finding my way here and discovering all of the Northstar flaws I was amazed at how bad the product really was. Talking to a bunch of people I always heard the same thing. "It's not a matter of if, but when" the head gaskets/bolts would go on these engines. That's just plain wrong. Can't cover that up with "owning a Cadillac is expensive". It's just wrong. Of course would never be covered under a recall because it's not safety related, and just think. ALL of the engines before 2006.

The other was a Microsoft surface pro 4. Not mine thankfully, but similar in it's design flaws that left the device worthless and not covered under any warranty. Absolute garbage.

As I drive my Ford explorer past 295k miles I look out in the driveway at the red caddy with 75k miles on it and think, when's the last time a car with 75k miles was worthless. Now I'm not complaining, it was free and I'm probably going to give Jim 2,400 to fix it, because how often do you get a 2,400 dollar car that's still in pretty good shape for it's age, but if I were a di-hard Cadillac person I'd have a real hard time staying loyal to the brand. As for Microsoft, I hated their hardware, and the surface pro line backs up my opinion. I've heard bad things about the brand new surface devices. Cadillac on the other hand from what I can see has gotten their act together.

They must call it the "dark times" with the Northstar.

I do want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. There are a good bunch of people on this forum and I'm really lucky that I found my way here.

Roveer

Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
"It's not a matter of if, but when" the head gaskets/bolts would go on these engines.
There was some truth to that statement in the pre-2000 engines. Not so much on the post 2000's and even less so on the post '04 motors. Check the "Who Can Beat Me - High Mileage" sticky thread in the Northstar forum.

Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
I'll bet the failure rate was less than 5%. I see lots of old ladies still driving their old Cadillacs oblivious to the flaws, even late 90's ones.

It's interesting. I've come across two totally different things in the past 2 months that have significant design flaws that have left their owners out in the cold. 1st is the 2002 DeVille that I took for free. Don't get me wrong, it was free, but after scouring the internet and finding my way here and discovering all of the Northstar flaws I was amazed at how bad the product really was. Talking to a bunch of people I always heard the same thing. "It's not a matter of if, but when" the head gaskets/bolts would go on these engines. That's just plain wrong. Can't cover that up with "owning a Cadillac is expensive". It's just wrong. Of course would never be covered under a recall because it's not safety related, and just think. ALL of the engines before 2006.

The other was a Microsoft surface pro 4. Not mine thankfully, but similar in it's design flaws that left the device worthless and not covered under any warranty. Absolute garbage.

As I drive my Ford explorer past 295k miles I look out in the driveway at the red caddy with 75k miles on it and think, when's the last time a car with 75k miles was worthless. Now I'm not complaining, it was free and I'm probably going to give Jim 2,400 to fix it, because how often do you get a 2,400 dollar car that's still in pretty good shape for it's age, but if I were a di-hard Cadillac person I'd have a real hard time staying loyal to the brand. As for Microsoft, I hated their hardware, and the surface pro line backs up my opinion. I've heard bad things about the brand new surface devices. Cadillac on the other hand from what I can see has gotten their act together.

They must call it the "dark times" with the Northstar.

I do want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. There are a good bunch of people on this forum and I'm really lucky that I found my way here.

Roveer
=====================
That's just plain wrong. Can't cover that up with "owning a Cadillac is expensive". It's just wrong.
ESPECIALLY when you consider how easy and cheap the final solution was -
longer head bolts with coarse threads -

if I were a di-hard Cadillac person I'd have a real hard time staying loyal to the brand.
I AM - or WAS a loyal Cadillac person -
bought my first Deville - brand new - in 1989 - and have driven nothing but Cadillacs since -
I currently own three Northstar powered cars -
two 2002 DHS model Devilles and one 2003 DHS model Deville -

I will keep these cars FOREVER -
because Cadillac offers absolutely NOTHING that interests me -
and absolutely NOTHING that suits MY needs -

Registered
2002 Deville DHS
Neither Caddy is driven in the winter. They stay in the garage a way from the snow and rain. 馃檪
2nd owner; 2001 DHS blown head [email protected] 60,000.... had motor pulled, found a guy in Chicago who installs NP studs...... best money spent on this car(3200$). Low miles excellent shape; if I'm lucky ill be buying antique plates in a 7 yrs. Sure I spent some money; transmission solenoid valve, new front hubs, water pump and struts. A lot of money but what would I get for for the that money toward a new or another used luxury. Hit 80,000 last week and this car rocks....

41 - 47 of 47 Posts