Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Deville that has been running fine, then suddenly developed a no-crank condition the last time I parked it. The battery is relatively new and fully charged, and I can hear a relay clicking under the back seat when I turn the key to "ignition". Several accessories are not working including the power windows and locks, radio, parking brake release, and fuel gauge. When I connect a code reader to the ALDL terminal, it gives me a communication error. When I cycle through the driver info display, all of the PCM parameters like oil life, battery volts, fuel economy, etc. are blank. The headlights, climate control, horn, and elc seem to be working normally. I checked all the relays and fuses for ignition, starter, and PCM in both fuse boxes. I tried turning the key on and off multiple times, and moving the shifter lever and steering wheel back and forth. I am at a loss for what to check next. I have already searched the forums but couldn't find anything exactly like this problem. I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,
George

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
Battery or connections.

Your car has (if you can access the DIC) its own built-in code reader/memory, controlled by the DIC INFO toggle buttons. Instructions in the sticky thread on the main Deville threads page = "How to pull codes". Study the proper year/model section, get your codes, return to the sticky to open the link to definitions of OBD-II codes. If you are able, post it all here.

From your other post 5.5 years ago it appears that the car has had other electrical problems.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just tried to pull the codes through the dash display and it says "no data" for all of them. All of the signs poiint to the PCM and several associated circuits not getting power, but I have checked the fuses that I could find and they are all good. Battery terminals, under-hood connections, and ground straps all look tight and corrosion free. This car has never had any electrical problems in the 4 years that I have known it. The car I posted about 5.5 years ago got wrecked, and this is a different one.

----------

Well I sort of figured out the problem. The car was on a slope with the parking brake on, so I decided to roll it down to flat ground where it would be easier to work on. As soon as I pulled the manual release for the parking brake, the interior lights and radio came back on and it tried to crank. It needed to be jumped even though I had it on the charger for most of the day, but it started and ran fine after that. I guess there is a short in the parking brake switch that is causing some of the circuits to lose power and draining the battery quickly. Luckily I have plenty of flat spaces to park it, so I can avoid using the parking brake in the future. I would still be interested to hear if anyone else has seen a similar problem!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
I just tried to pull the codes through the dash display and it says "no data" for all of them. All of the signs poiint to the PCM and several associated circuits not getting power, but I have checked the fuses that I could find and they are all good. Battery terminals, under-hood connections, and ground straps all look tight and corrosion free. This car has never had any electrical problems in the 4 years that I have known it. The car I posted about 5.5 years ago got wrecked, and this is a different one.

----------

Well I sort of figured out the problem. The car was on a slope with the parking brake on, so I decided to roll it down to flat ground where it would be easier to work on. As soon as I pulled the manual release for the parking brake, the interior lights and radio came back on and it tried to crank. It needed to be jumped even though I had it on the charger for most of the day, but it started and ran fine after that. I guess there is a short in the parking brake switch that is causing some of the circuits to lose power and draining the battery quickly. Luckily I have plenty of flat spaces to park it, so I can avoid using the parking brake in the future. I would still be interested to hear if anyone else has seen a similar problem!
============================
I doubt it has anything to do with the parking brake -
I bet you have a bad ground -
and probably a broken front motor mount -

1 - 4 of 4 Posts