Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the part number (or where to get) a reasonably priced antenna replacement for a 2002 Deville (DTS)? Someone apparently thought it would be funny to try and bend my into a pretzel and despite my efforts to bend it back, it still looks mangled. What I'm looking for is not the XM antenna on the roof but the user-adjustable-angled one on the rear window.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer and the huge sticker price that always goes with those trips, thanks!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
If your OnStar has been converted to the newer digital system the (screw on) antenna is probably a dealer item. If the system is the old analog, it is discontinued so you could remove the antenna base and inside connector and discard them. The BNC connector on the base is a slip-on affair so you pull it off and tuck the wire and plug into the trim panel.

The old antenna is differently loaded than the new - the loading coil is halfway up on the old stub and near the bottom on the new.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Premium, Saturn Vue XR
493 Posts
I have a bunch of them lying around if you really need it. I took mine off because Onstar went from analog to digital.:welcome:

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Deville DTS
2 Posts
2002 Deville DTS: For newer folks looking at this thread, that "Cellular-Look" antenna on the back glass is the actual am/fm antenna for the Bose system on the DTS (maybe other trim levels). My detailer took mine off so as not to break it in the wash and forgot to put it back on (it simply screws off). Without it, my am/fm reception is gone. He is looking for it. I am about to replace my stock premium Bose with a single DIN Blue tooth radio and that antenna will be fine for the am/fm/HD radio system. If you need a new one, there is a replacement other than the GM OEM, look up Metra replacement number:
44-RM01B

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts
2002 Deville DTS: For newer folks looking at this thread, that "Cellular-Look" antenna on the back glass is the actual am/fm antenna for the Bose system on the DTS (maybe other trim levels). My detailer took mine off so as not to break it in the wash and forgot to put it back on (it simply screws off). Without it, my am/fm reception is gone. He is looking for it. I am about to replace my stock premium Bose with a single DIN Blue tooth radio and that antenna will be fine for the am/fm/HD radio system. If you need a new one, there is a replacement other than the GM OEM, look up Metra replacement number:
44-RM01B
===========================
2002 Deville DTS: For newer folks looking at this thread, that "Cellular-Look" antenna on the back glass is the actual am/fm antenna for the Bose system on the DTS
NOPE -

our Devilles have the DIVERSITY ANTENNA system -
AM/FM antennas are built into BOTH the front and rear windshields -
the FRONT antenna connector located on the passengers side top corner of the front windshield -
and the REAR antenna connector located on the drivers side top corner of the rear windshield -
read all about it starting on page 3-36 in your Owners Manual -

the "Cellular-Look" antenna on the back glass" is for the original - ANALOG - On-Star system -
which no longer works - unless it was converted to the DIGITAL On-Star system -

and the "SHARK FIN" antenna on the roof is for the XM radio - if you have it -

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
Post #5 is incorrect information.

The little whip on the rear window glass is for OnStar. The design slightly changed with the changeover from analog to digital back in 2006 or so - I did the dealership digital upgrade and watched the tech change the transceiver, antenna and base, then communicate with OnStar to set up the new system

As posted, the AM/FM antennas are built into the front and rear window glass - just like the rear window defroster trips. Each antenna has its own connectors at the glass edges.

If the system was never converted the stub whip has the loading coil in the middle 1/3 of the stub. The conversion whip has the loading coil as the lower 1/3 of the stub.

See GM/Cadillac TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) 00-08-46-002A of 12 April 2005 for explanations and replacement part numbers for the rear glass mount OnStar antenna for 1996 - 2005 Cadillacs and Hummer.

Here's my 2002 STS, digital OnStar conversion. Grainy pic, zoom in.

RR without flash.JPG

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Deville DTS
2 Posts
===========================
2002 Deville DTS: For newer folks looking at this thread, that "Cellular-Look" antenna on the back glass is the actual am/fm antenna for the Bose system on the DTS
NOPE -

our Devilles have the DIVERSITY ANTENNA system -
AM/FM antennas are built into BOTH the front and rear windshields -
the FRONT antenna connector located on the passengers side top corner of the front windshield -
and the REAR antenna connector located on the drivers side top corner of the rear windshield -
read all about it starting on page 3-36 in your Owners Manual -

the "Cellular-Look" antenna on the back glass" is for the original - ANALOG - On-Star system -
which no longer works - unless it was converted to the DIGITAL On-Star system -

and the "SHARK FIN" antenna on the roof is for the XM radio - if you have it -
Well, I am glad I joined this group, because the information I got from audiophile groups was certainly wrong. I got a hold of my owners manual and confirmed everything. Thanks for correcting. I will still remount the old antenna for the aesthetics. This DTS I picked up a real beauty, a one owner with only 56K and immaculately maintained. Now, for the poor reception on AM, I will look to see if any of the antenna grids are damaged, or if this is the limitations of the antenna. Thanks.

Post #5 is incorrect information.

The little whip on the rear window glass is for OnStar. The design slightly changed with the changeover from analog to digital back in 2006 or so - I did the dealership digital upgrade and watched the tech change the transceiver, antenna and base, then communicate with OnStar to set up the new system

As posted, the AM/FM antennas are built into the front and rear window glass - just like the rear window defroster trips. Each antenna has its own connectors at the glass edges.

If the system was never converted the stub whip has the loading coil in the middle 1/3 of the stub. The conversion whip has the loading coil as the lower 1/3 of the stub.

See GM/Cadillac TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) 00-08-46-002A of 12 April 2005 for explanations and replacement part numbers for the rear glass mount OnStar antenna for 1996 - 2005 Cadillacs and Hummer.

Here's my 2002 STS, digital OnStar conversion. Grainy pic, zoom in.

View attachment 579404
Thanks for correcting the newbie error, five day owner. Like I mentioned in my other reply, there appears to be much misinformation in the generic car audiophile forums out there. I will stick to this group, as I make decisions on upgrades and maintenance. I am pondering activating On Star, but I am also looking at upgrading from the Bose radio system. A big decision since this pristine DTS is all stock at the moment - and such a beauty to look at..

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
If you wish - and if the system was never upgraded - you can simply unplug the BNC connector at the side of the inner mount, push it into the side trim, carefully use a hair dryer to warm then razor blade off the inner and outer mount plates.

Even if the conversion was still available the old OnStar was archaic and had the most hideously expensive cell phone minutes pricing on earth.

FWIW, the original head unit is programmed with THAT car's VIN and is part of the TheftLock, content theft, security, and serial data bus systems. You need to talk to the guys at Crutchfield for the correct jumpers and harnesses in order to keep the chimes, HVAC, and steering wheel functions and to avoid all sorts of trouble codes and messages. (Your car has its own built-in diagnostic code scanner.)

We never use the car radio/sound except for NOAA weather. I'm deep into vinyl, tubes, and electrostatics at home ...........

Delphi III&SME IViv.JPG

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts
We never use the car radio/sound except for NOAA weather. I'm deep into vinyl, tubes, and electrostatics at home ...........
=========================
ya - SURE - that's the turntable you HAD 12 years ago -
now show us what you use TODAY -
🤣

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
I use the same Oracle DELPHI-III (modified by Brooks Berdan (RIP), SME-IV-iv arm and now, a Lyra Kleos moving coil cartridge. Van Den Hul - III arm cable. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!) I loves my vinyl ...........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts