Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 deville
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lost both sets of my keys for my 2002 Deville, what are my options without having my car towed to the dealership.That's what the dealership said to me.
Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
You may be able to get a locksmith to open it up - but you will need to find someone who can work on the GM Passkey system and most likely have to get some information from the dealership. There are people other than the dealer who can do it but they may be hard to find. You can try a local body shop for references or leads.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
I've lost both sets of my keys for my 2002 Deville, what are my options without having my car towed to the dealership.That's what the dealership said to me.
Thanks.
A friend of mine did a similar thing a couple of years ago. He was picking up something from the seat and laid his keys down instead of putting them in his pocket. Locked the keys in it. I took him to the dealer .... he had to prove who he was, that he was the registered owner, and give them the VIN.

Then they cut him a new key based on the VIN number. Was around 50 or 60 bucks, if I remember right.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,430 Posts
Based on your VIN no. and proof of ownership, the dealer should be able to cut you a new key. Then follow the programming instructions in the owners manual for the new key.

·
Registered
2018 CTS 3.6L AWD Premium Luxury, Previous: 2009 STS 3.6L AWD, 2003 DTS 4.6L
386 Posts
To program the new key yourself, you need "a" key for that car. First you put the working key in the ignition and turn it to on or you can start the car, then you remove the "old" key and put the freshly cut key in the ignition and turn it to on. New key is now programmed.
My understanding was that "des" had no key at all, so this procedure would not work for him.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Dealers are having a MAJOR problem with people ordering keys for various cars. Corporate (from all manufac) has sent specific memos to all dealers instructing them to do the following:

1. customer needs proof of ownership, registration, title, etc.
2. customer needs proof of insurance.
3. customer needs to present picture id.

Parts employees are at risk of losing jobs. Dealer is at risk of losing ability to cut keys if dealer gets too many complaints about (stolen??) keys.

It is really bad. I have had this discussion with GM, BMW, and Ford parts mgrs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts