Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you think your headgasket is blown check these three things and hopefully it's ok....1st Check your Purge line it becomes clogged very easily it needs a steady flow of coolant running to your expansion tank...2nd Underneath your intake manifold you have eight blue gaskets in my case had a pool of coolant around my starter area from them leaking internal leak that caused overheating making you think its your HG...3rd another Internal leak Waterpump Crossovers good way to see if your going out to start your car look under your car after it has been sitting cooled down...the coolant puddle ''leak' will be if your facing the center of your car look underneath a couple of feet on your drivers side and a few feet back somewhere in that area if you have a pool of coolant could be your Waterpump crossovers i did mine takes time and there are videos to guide you through Good Luck hope this helps someone here if you need any advice...

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,871 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!

You might want to read the stickies in here, Deville, and Engines; Northstar - as well as the 18 years of history in Engines; Northstar. It's all there in glorious detail.

The 8 blue seals in the 2000 - 2005 are in no way connected with coolant - they're port seals only - the intake manifold is dry.

Intake silicone seals2.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to CF !!!

You might want to read the stickies in here, Deville, and Engines; Northstar - as well as the 18 years of history in Engines; Northstar. It's all there in glo
Welcome to CF !!!

You might want to read the stickies in here, Deville, and Engines; Northstar - as well as the 18 years of history in Engines; Northstar. It's all there in glorious detail.

The 8 blue seals in the 2000 - 2005 are in no way connected with coolant - they're port seals only - the intake manifold is dry.

View attachment 584374
Thanks now Submariner i have coolant in there leaking all over underneath the intake manifold around the starter...Is it the heads building up pressure and leaking in the starter area its alot of coolant...I can drive this car 25 to 30 miles and like clockwork temp goes up and overheats everytime and fast too...would you think a crack in the block somewhere or maybe the gaskets just start to leak around 25 miles everytime any help greatly aprreciated

·
Administrator
69,871 Posts
Thread title changed to better describe YOUR problem(s).

First, you need to perform a cylinder block exhaust gas test immediately after an overheat episode. Rent the tester from any parts store, follow the instructions and don't modify them to "make it better".

Then rent another test kit - cooling system pressure leakdown - and observe how long a set pressure (cold) takes to bleed down and where the leak really is.

Correct coolant level is half full, cold, in the surge tank. See the FULL COLD legend and arrow molded into the top and side of the tank.

It's unlikely that the block or heads are cracked in that valley area - maybe a radical leak caused by pulling head bolts due to failing threads, but unlikely in a 2002.

Coolant leaking near the starter flange may come from bad water crossover gasket(s). AT LEAST 8 hours of hard work to replace.

water crossover gaskets.gif

For the time being, DO NOT pour in or add any so-called sealants or other magic stopleak potions. Correctly diagnose and repair the problem - no BandAids.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes sir leaking coolant all in the valley alot of it by the starter pretty much all over in there...Now would you suspect Headgasket failure? I can drive the car about 25 miles and everytime like clockwork i overheat and fast to...i hope my block isn't cracked or to the boneyard it goes...now i get about 25miles before i overheat any help greatly aprreciated an thanks Submariner...

·
Administrator
69,871 Posts
Please read Post #4 again.

YOU do the tests and checks then report back. My arms don't quite reach to Missouri.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
111 Posts
More than likely, if it's flooding into the starter cavity, you have a bad gasket on the water outlet. Your overheat however, is possibly a head gasket. Block test that bish...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More than likely, if it's flooding into the starter cavity, you have a bad gasket on the water outlet. Your overheat however, is possibly a head gasket. Block test that bish...
Thanks yea I'm going to block test it pretty sure its both heads..so sure I've already got the stuff on the way..now I'm not going to get the engine out i don't have the money or the tools but i can get the valve covers off the front and back and work on it the car...with that being said if i get these bolts out and if i some how get lucky and there ok...would you think i'd be ok to put new bolts in i know it says 89lbs on the torque and maybe torque them at say at 85lbs so i don't strip or snap one of them what do you think...i think i could time sert the front head I'm afraid i'd mess up and ruin the back one being in the car as for as the angle of the drill and space and all...thanks for any advice

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
111 Posts
You can use a right angle drill for the serts that gives you more room, there's a guy that I believe did a 2002 on youtube. I would pull more stuff out of your way than he does, but it's doable. You just have to manipulate the cradle, and say a shit ton of swear words.

The tool to do the serts and enough serts will set you back around 500+ if you buy new.

·
Administrator
69,871 Posts
There is a very specific initial torque plus 3 steps of additional twist used when installing NEW GM head bolts in ALL 20 inserted bolt holes. Do it right or you'll have a V8 32 valve boat anchor.

You NEED the GM/Cadillac 2002 service manuals for all the special procedures involved in doing a BigSert or NS300L (www.huhnsolutions.com) insert job. The original fine thread TimeSert is no longer recommended or used.

Study the service manuals and the stickies in Engines; Northstar before you start or I guarantee that you'll really mess things up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea looks like one mess up on one of the 20 ship goes down...thanks fof the advice time to get dedicated thanks Submariner

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,190 Posts
My money is on the crossover manifold gaskets. Common problem after 2000.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts