Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'll tell you why I need to get it out and hopefully somebody has either done the job, or has a copy of the procedure to remove the actual module behind the radio not just the motor on the outside of the HVAC "box".

Diagnostic trouble codes: B0249 and B0409
Symptoms: Scraping and/or grinding noise coming from behind radio in the dash everytime key is turned "on" and whenever a different "mode" is selected on the climate control system.

I'm a former tech at a Chevy dealer and Goodyear but this baby is proving to be an absolute BEAR. Car only has 15,000 miles on it. OK I have a subscribtion to alldata, which is well worth the money BTW, but for a resource that has exstensive information they don't have exactly what I need this round. In the diagnostic charts, which appear to be straight out of the factory service manual, it says "remove HVAC module" but gives no further instructions on how to get it out. Tells you how to get the actuator motors R&R'ed but not the module.

After adding up how many hours the dealer would charge, almost 8 at 100 an hour plus parts, the wallet says I am fixing it :) So any help is greatly appreciated hopefully I'll be able to return the favor and contribute to the forum. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
03 DTS
303 Posts
Did you fix this yourself? I am having the same issue.
If you did fix it yourself can you tell me what you did (remove the entire dash)?
If you didnt fix it yourself, how much did you end up paying to get it fixed?

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I fixed it myself. Yes I had to remove the dash. Although you can "possibly" get the job done without taking out the dash, I lost my patience and went the long road.

What did I get for my trouble a car that won't start! ARGH!

I know why it won't start. There's no data coming out of the diagnotic connector. I just haven't yet isolated precisely WHY a scanner can't communicate with the car. Plug has power and ground PLUS I can get codes up on the driver information center but absolutely no data out of the DLC. If the car can't communicate with a scanner it won't start.

Anybody have any ideas??

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before I tell you the final culprit know this if I didn't have a very good friend at a GM dealership, parts department, close to me I NEVER would have found the problem, because the answer defies "reason".

It was the Climate Control unit right on top of the radio. $600 part takes maybe a minute to replace and that would be with a hangover.

If somebody knows, I would love to know why the climate controls, WHY faulty CLIMATE CONTROLS would ever be DESIGNED to not allow an automobile to start.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
Before I tell you the final culprit know this if I didn't have a very good friend at a GM dealership, parts department, close to me I NEVER would have found the problem, because the answer defies "reason".

It was the Climate Control unit right on top of the radio. $600 part takes maybe a minute to replace and that would be with a hangover.

If somebody knows, I would love to know why the climate controls, WHY faulty CLIMATE CONTROLS would ever be DESIGNED to not allow an automobile to start.
It's because that black box is one of the body control modules (the Dash Integration Module or DIM to be specific) that does much more than just control the HVAC. Why they couldn't have two separate modules (one for the DIM and the other for HVAC) I dunno. You can get a junkyard piece for like $20 but you do run the risk of having the same problem. I got mine out of a total and haven't had any trouble with it (other than that the light behind the heat/cold knob works intermittently).

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts