Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far two Cadillac dealerships have been unable to locate my problem. After the ignition has been turned off and several minutes have elapsed and restarting is attempted, there is no power, the dash lights will not come on and the starter will not turn over. The car can be jumped but when the jumper cables are connected it appears there is still a heavy load on the battery since when connecting the jumper wires, sparks fly when connecting battery cables. The car will then start. Another hint is that the green light on the battery is still displayed ever though the battery will not start the car. It would appear that some circuit is not being switched off when the key is turned off.
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
So far two Cadillac dealerships have been unable to locate my problem. After the ignition has been turned off and several minutes have elapsed and restarting is attempted, there is no power, the dash lights will not come on and the starter will not turn over.
It might help to know what components have been tested and identified as operating properly.
The car can be jumped but when the jumper cables are connected it appears there is still a heavy load on the battery since when connecting the jumper wires, sparks fly when connecting battery cables. The car will then start.
Most of the time when you see unusual arcing when connecting jumper cables it simply means the battery being jumped has a very low charge and the battery being used to power the jumper cables is supplying considerable current as the voltage of the two batteries attempts to equalize.
Another hint is that the green light on the battery is still displayed ever though the battery will not start the car.
One green eye is all but useless as an indication of the state of charge of a battery. The battery has six cells but only one of them has the "eye".

What I would do is get to an aftermarket parts store and ask them to load test your battery and alternator. They will do it at no charge to you.

I would also carefully inspect the battery cable connections at the battery and the ground cable to the chassis.

There are other electrical system connection points to be addressed if none of the above lead you to the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts