Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville and 2009 DTS
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Deville with 220,000 miles. Most fuel pumps I know of, go out around 150,000 miles. I feel mine will go anytime and I would rather change the fuel pump
when it's convenient. Someone in an earlier post pointed out an access panel in the trunk! This will make the job a lot easier!

When looking at fuel pumps at O'Rielys or Autozone I noticed the specs show vast differences in PSI. I cannot find anything in my Cadillac service manual about fuel PSI for my car.

The fuel pump rating online show:

Spectra - 72- 130 PSI ( lifetime warranty)
Airtex - 80 - 90 PSI (lifetime warranty)
AC Delco (I think this is a good brand, but only has a 1 YEAR WARRANTY!) does not show PSI rating.
Dephi - 50 PSI ( lifetime warranty)

I am leaning towards Airtex, since the PSI in in the mid-range. I would hate to get Spectra and the PSI end up being too high and pop a fuel line. Or get Delphi and it is too low.

Any advice?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Airtex, DELPHI, UltraPower and AC Delco are all the same assembly. The Fuel Pressure Regulator in the fuel rail controls system pressure, not the pump. Most of those pumps will pump to destruction into a dead head - that's the "pressure" figure. System pressure is regulated to 41 - 47 psi, and a staggering amont of fuel always recirculates to/from the tank. Depending on the engine - 2,3,4,5,6,8,10 cylinders - power demands, and other factors, fuel pressures and injector flow rates vary all over the place.

www.rockauto.com

Here's the box end from one for my Seville TS.

Replace the entire assembly - pump, filter, check valve, tank pressure sensor, fuel level - all in one package for a few bucks more.

The FPR diagram is for operating principle - ours are a bit different in physical setup.

Click a thumbnail to enlarge, use your browser <-- to back out.

(Buy your shop towels from AutoZone - nothing else. O'Reilly's usually has some decent stuff.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
"Airtex, DELPHI, UltraPower and AC Delco are all the same assembly. "

Submariner409, All 4 of these brands are the same assembly/part? The UltraPower UP39740M would be a great price from Rock Auto if
I knew it was a quality part? If I read your post correctly, it is considered to be a good part to use?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
I would shy away from so-called "economy" parts for these cars.

Compare the part numbers and the specs. You get what you pay for.

As I posted, over the years most of the listed manufacturers have made/sourced/rebranded parts for GM and other car brands. DELPHI used to make millions of different parts, still make quite a few, and outsource others which then go into an AC Delco, UltraPower, DELPHI, or other brand name box.

The box label in post #2 - I have that fuel pump assembly in the garage. And another in an AC Delco box. They are identical. Identical.

----------

sparkydm, Got your PM.

As I posted earlier, I would shy away from "economy" listed parts for these cars. Sure, you can order the economy assembly from RockAuto - they're very good about taking back products that don't meet a customer's expectations. After I read your PM I went into RockAuto and looked - I had never bothered to scrutinize the "Economy" section. No advice there.

·
Registered
2002 Deville and 2009 DTS
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the inputs. It was HELL getting the old pump out! The hole was like 1/16th of an inch too small. and I had to keep twisting and turning the pump, etc...

Glad the new pump was about 1/4 inch smaller in diameter, so that part was a piece of cake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts