Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville and 2009 DTS
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Cadillac Deville 170,000 miles

I have a weird condition with my right headlight (low beam) and I know the bulb is good!

1) If I use my key remote to unlock the door, both headlights come on. BUT when I start the car, the right headlight goes out!

2) If I manually turn off the daytime running lights and turn on the headlights manually, the right head light is still off. But when I get out of the car and use the key remote to unock the car, both headlights come on.

3) Even if I dont put the key in the car, and turn on the headlights manually, the right headlight is still off

4) Both high beams work fine.

5) I checked all pertaining fuses and replaced the DRL relay, and swapped the low beam relay with another of the same kind. This did not make a difference.

So the only thing I can think of is that the wire to turn on the headlights (via keyremote) is separate from the wire that turns on the headlight while the car is running.
if this is the case, should I try looking for an open or short going to/from the right headlight? OR... there may be 2 seperate ground wires (key remote and manaul switch)?

Any other ideas would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
I'd replace the bulb. I had a similar intermittent light like that on my wife's car not long ago.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Almost sounds like a weird grounding issue. With car off getting a ground and when car running ground not strong enough? thoughts?
Does your model have 2 relay? one turns lights on and another to switch low to high?
DRL does not run though either quite possibly has seperate ground. Caddies of these eras use ground on/off to energize circuits. That's what made me think of ground issue.

·
Registered
2005 STS
75 Posts
Highbeams are what illuminate with my remote.Watch dash from outside when you lock with remote.High beam indicator on dash will light up

·
Registered
2002 Deville and 2009 DTS
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just following up here... YUP... the headlight was dead, but the reason I got confused was when I start my car the highbeam comes on first. Then after like 5 seconds it switches to low beam!
There fore the low beam headlight was dead the whole time. I just thought from inside the car the light was on for 5 seconds , then it dies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts