Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac DeVille
4 Posts
I noticed that the compressor on my 2002 Base DeVille was running quite often, so I assumed that a shock was leaking, just
replaced with Monroe MA822 shocks. The air compressor runs when start up, and if I leave it sit for about 5 minutes the
compressor kick on again for about 7 seconds, if I leave it then again within 5 minutes. Either the new shocks are leaking
or a leak in the line. How can I trouble shoot the air lines for a leak, or could the air compressor itself be leaking some way?
Maybe my old shocks were not leaking and its a line or the compressor? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Topeka

I have a base 2002 DeVille, the air pump compressor for shocks was running too often, thought is might be a leaking shock,
Just replaced with Monroe MA822 shocks two days ago, the air compressor runs when car is turned on for about 15 seconds,
but it turns on again after 3-4 minutes and runs about 5-6 seconds again, this does this over and over again. The new shocks
should be fine, What would cause the compressor to turn on over and over? If a leak in the air lines, How do I check them out
or could the air compressor be leaking some how? I know that this is not the normal for the compressor to run, must be something
leaking that is causing the compressor to start up again. Any suggestions will be appreciated? Topeka

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,272 Posts
I have a base 2002 DeVille, the air pump compressor for shocks was running too often, thought is might be a leaking shock,
Just replaced with Monroe MA822 shocks two days ago, the air compressor runs when car is turned on for about 15 seconds,
but it turns on again after 3-4 minutes and runs about 5-6 seconds again, this does this over and over again. The new shocks
should be fine, What would cause the compressor to turn on over and over? If a leak in the air lines, How do I check them out
or could the air compressor be leaking some how? I know that this is not the normal for the compressor to run, must be something
leaking that is causing the compressor to start up again. Any suggestions will be appreciated? Topeka
===========================
check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

----------------

could be a leaking exhaust solenoid in the compressor -
could be leaking air lines -

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac DeVille
4 Posts
I just ran the codes, no code errors listed. Any good suggestion on checking the air lines for leaks? How do you determine if the exhaust solenoid
is leaking in the compressor. I don't want to replace if it is not leaking? The Rear Level Control Compressor is costly? Would like to rule out anything
that I might be able to check out my self before the additional cost?

I'm open to any suggestions? Topeka

·
19,272 Posts
I just ran the codes, no code errors listed. Any good suggestion on checking the air lines for leaks? How do you determine if the exhaust solenoid
is leaking in the compressor. I don't want to replace if it is not leaking? The Air Suspension Compressor is costly? Would like to rule out anything
that I might be able to check out my self before the additional cost?

I'm open to any suggestions? Topeka
=========================
Any good suggestion on checking the air lines for leaks?
a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of dishwashing soap and water -

spray the lines - look for bubbles -

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac DeVille
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will try that this afternoon after golf. I truly hope that it is a leaking air line, and no more. Will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac DeVille
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I found where the air line had been rubbing against the fender well, and caused the air line to have a rub, sprayed some soap water, seen a small bubble
I am not sure how to go about repairing. Read a post where someone used a 1/8 " compression union to put between the line after cutting out the bad
spot in the line. I am going to try some epoxy for golf club making, to see if it might just be good enough to stop the small leak. Worth a try, if doesn't
work, I guess I'll try to find a 1/8" compression union. Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
Those Rear Level Control system air lines are probably as brittle as eggshell. You could use a proper sized compression coupling or attempt to cut out the damaged inch of line and jump it with proper sized vacuum hose and wire ties.

·
19,272 Posts
Today I found where the air line had been rubbing against the fender well, and caused the air line to have a rub, sprayed some soap water, seen a small bubble
I am not sure how to go about repairing. Read a post where someone used a 1/8 " compression union to put between the line after cutting out the bad
spot in the line. I am going to try some epoxy for golf club making, to see if it might just be good enough to stop the small leak. Worth a try, if doesn't
work, I guess I'll try to find a 1/8" compression union. Anyone have any other ideas?
==========================
you could get the Monroe AK29 manual fill kit to repair your line -

the air lines have the same shock connectors -
and you could use the manual fill "T" as the splice -

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
A complete airline replacement kit including lines, hangers and fittings is available on EBay for $11.00 free shipping. I just recently had the same problem and the kit arrived in 3 days.
Easy Peasy!

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Re: Replaced rear shocks-air compressor running too often-How to check for a leak?

I use soapy water applied gently with a brush. The foam will bubble up if the leak is covered with the soapy solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts