Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS - 245K
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am continuing my journey to fix my parents Escalade (2002 4x4) and managed to get all my ABS codes cleared.

I had a clanging in my front differential for a while but seems to have quieted down after spinning for a while. However, while the car is jacked up up and put it drive 3 of the wheels free spin, but one wheel ( driver front ) does not spin. I can rev it up high 4K-5k rpm and it does not spin. If I gently apply any brake pressure it spins like a champ. Has anyone seen this before? It seems like it’s kicking my stability control on as that wheel is not spinning. Before assembling the wheels and everything back on, I wanted to make sure everything was intact. It seems very odd that one front wheel spins in drive and the other does not unless brake is applied.. thoughts or suggestions?

thanks!

·
Registered
2014 ELR
198 Posts
With an open differential in the front axle thats what it should do. The wheel with the least resistance will spin. Be careful because the front wheel that is spinning is spinning at twice the speed indicated on the speedometer. You could destroy a tire by over revving it. This can also be hard on the spider gears in the differential because they are really not designed for the differential to run like that for very long. I woukd bet if you check the RPO code sticker (in the glove box I believe) that vehicle has option code G80, a locking rear diff. Thats why both rears spin the same speed.

·
Registered
2004 CTS - 245K
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct, you are I do have a "G80" That's great news then. I will re-assemble it and see what she's got :)

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts