Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i am new to this, and i need help with my Caddy, this summer when i turned into a parking spot it seemed like my truck was stuck in 4 low and vibrated took it to a shop and they said my transfer case was shot.. It is cooler now and no problems so far could i be low on fluid or is this a problem with the 02 escalades? shop wants to charge $1800 to fix.. please help.. thank you!!

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
are you making any tight turns with the steering wheel all the way or is it doing when you go straight the reason i ask is cause i don't think the 02 has transfer case controls i know my 03 don't have them and it behaves like it is in 50/50 when i turn the wheel really steep in while in a parking lot kinda odd to see a caddy barking the tires at low speed.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thank you for replying... my 02 only does it when turning into a tight spot after driving for a little while, left or right it doesnt matter. not when straight or if its cold.. i live in colorado and since its cooled down outside it has not done it..it would do it in reverse as well. i was thinking maybe my fluid is old or low, it just turned 100000 miles and i have had it since 60000, been serviced routine but nothing with the transfer case. please help, dont want to spend $1800 if the transfer case is not shot.. thanks again..

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
ok shed me a bit more light on this do you have push button controls for the four wheel drive if yes then it may be them needing replaced if not then i am pretty sure your is acting the same as mine which is all wheel drive and will show the signs like you mention

·
Registered
2007 Escalade EXT
138 Posts
The transfer case nothing to do with binding on tight turns. With AWD, the transfer case and front hubs are locked in all the time. The front end is like a FWD vehicle....there are CV joints that allow the front wheels to turn. However, the front wheels will not turn as sharply as a RWD vehicle. Hence, it feels lke the front wheels are binding when you attempt a tight turn.

My 06 does the same thing and at 107,000 miles, it is fine. My son's 08 does the same thing too at 29,000 miles. Again, it is a function of the limited turning capability of the front CV joints. Not to worry.

BTW...don't go back to the guy who wants $1800 to fix the transfer case....he may also want ot rotate your brake pads of widnshield wipers....ugh!!

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
The transfer case nothing to do with binding on tight turns. With AWD, the transfer case and front hubs are locked in all the time. The front end is like a FWD vehicle....there are CV joints that allow the front wheels to turn. However, the front wheels will not turn as sharply as a RWD vehicle. Hence, it feels lke the front wheels are binding when you attempt a tight turn.

My 06 does the same thing and at 107,000 miles, it is fine. My son's 08 does the same thing too at 29,000 miles. Again, it is a function of the limited turning capability of the front CV joints. Not to worry.

BTW...don't go back to the guy who wants $1800 to fix the transfer case....he may also want ot rotate your brake pads of widnshield wipers....ugh!!
i agree it is normal since you don't have controls mine acts the same way so don't get ripped off by someone who is just looking for some quick money:halo: weird but it's ok.

·
Registered
'02 Escalade
2 Posts
Mine does the same thing when it heats up. '02, AWD, 146K miles. It is not normal since it does not do it when cool. Had multiple push-button Suburbans and it acts like it is in 4WD Lo. Guessing Oil level or condition of oil is culprit, thinks it is sensing "rear-slip" thus driving power to front wheels? Will provide more feedback after investigation.

·
Registered
2003 escalade
108 Posts
There is no sensor or device to apply more or less power distribution front to rear. The transfer case is really very simple, acts more like an open differential. I suspect you don't have the Active Brake control but instead have a limited slip rear diff. The limited slip option is (G80) look in the glovebox for that code. If you have G80 then after extended highway driving the clutch plates may in fact become "stuck" together causing the funny feeling when turning. Get the fluid changed in the rear and get some GM Limited Slip additive. I bet that makes a big difference.

·
Registered
'02 Escalade
2 Posts
Thanks, BIG-KO.
I will be doing a full service on Transfer and Diff's this weekend and crossing fingers. A guy at the GM Dealer described our issue as similar to one he saw in AWD Astro vans years ago. He explained that there are slip plates (?) in the transfer case and may be sticking, as you stated, which basically engages the front drive line a higher percentage than "usual" and gives the feel of Locked 4WD in the front when turning. We will see.
F.Y.I. -The diagnosis becomes more difficult because there was a mid-model Transfer case change that, along with internal changes, got a new lubricant that is very important to get the right type. The early models required a type that is dealer-only at $8 / Quart (its red) and the latter model is a clear lube that runs $35 a Quart. 2.4 Quarts required. I happen to have an "early" model case (determined by VIN #). I hope that the mid-model change was not due to finding out the early-version heats up and fails!

·
2002 ESV
2002 Escalade
16 Posts
Thanks, BIG-KO.
I will be doing a full service on Transfer and Diff's this weekend and crossing fingers. A guy at the GM Dealer described our issue as similar to one he saw in AWD Astro vans years ago. He explained that there are slip plates (?) in the transfer case and may be sticking, as you stated, which basically engages the front drive line a higher percentage than "usual" and gives the feel of Locked 4WD in the front when turning. We will see.
F.Y.I. -The diagnosis becomes more difficult because there was a mid-model Transfer case change that, along with internal changes, got a new lubricant that is very important to get the right type. The early models required a type that is dealer-only at $8 / Quart (its red) and the latter model is a clear lube that runs $35 a Quart. 2.4 Quarts required. I happen to have an "early" model case (determined by VIN #). I hope that the mid-model change was not due to finding out the early-version heats up and fails!
Hey I’m having similar symptoms. Did you ever figure it out?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts