Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CTS
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a HID conversion kit into the fogs, has anyone here done this? 6000K? 8000k? What kind are the bulbs? Easy install?

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT
2,090 Posts
Install is plug and play... well at least it was in my kit.. almost all kits are plug and play but you can grab a harness so they draw all power off the battery... install is extremely easy... took me maybe 20-30 minutes and that included pulling the car in front of the garage and figuring out where to mount everything.. the bulbs are 881 i believe.. i went with a 4500k kit from MTech... which is a good brand however now that i have them i think i should have gone with a 6000k.. from a distance the fogs are really bright and match however sometimes up close they have a yellow tint.. here are some pictures of my stock headlights with the 4500k hid fogs... my brother has the acura til and he has stock hids with 8000k fogs... i have been thinking for a while about changing out the factory hid bulb with the Mcchulloch D1R replacement bulb in 8000k to get more of a blue look but for now this is bright enough..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
i paid like 300-350 shipped on mine.. i paid the extra for the name.. but you can get kits alot cheaper on ebay.. my brother got his kit for like 180...

·
Registered
2018 CTS
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok anything I should know? What to buy and what not to buy? Also Kidd, can you please post up some step-by-step instructions if you can when you get some time? That would be great. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
That would be easy..

1) Park your car in a spot that you can comfortably lay under it

2) Ge on the ground

3) Unscrew driver side lightbulb from fog light

4) Take bulb off the factory harness aka remove stock bulb completely

5) take stock harness and plug into aftermarket harness

6) Screw hid bulb in

7) Plug 2 wires from ballast to hid bulb together

8) Wire-tie ballast to somewhere sturdy around the fog light area

9) Repeat steps 3 - 8 for passenger side

10) Turn fog lights on and leave one for a good 15-20 minutes.. this is to let them burn in or whatever.. if you can leave them on for longer than that would be great.. this is a good time to clean any mess up, take photos, etc... This also allows some time in case an defected parts or anything.. they will show up here usually..

install is very simply.. its basically like changing out the bulb.. only you have to just mount the ballast somewhere.. personally i just wiretied it to some wires or something that wre all bunched together.. worked nicely...

·
Registered
2018 CTS
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you post a picture of your ballast? Im sure it wouldnt be hard at all, but the only thing I would take time on is where the ballast would go. Also did you HIDs burn your fog lamp housing after long use or anything?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
stock hid is 4300k... but like i said for some reason at some angles the fog lights look more yellow... which is why i am thinking about going to 6000k.. not sure why but the stockers look more white but at a distance they look the same

as for the picture do you just want a generic picture of the kit or a picture of the ballast where it is on my truck?

I use my fogs alot and so far no burning however I have heard stories of guys have the housing melt but i would think that would take some time to have that happen.. i dont drive much so idk..

other than that there isnt much more to know.. if buying on ebay just make sure the guy has good feedback and if possible buy a known kit... everything else is pretty easy... the hardest part is going to be where to mount the ballast and to be honest now that you brought this topic up i might end up changing where it is only for the fact that i had my PA horn's wire ties melt one day and break off.. then again with the ballasts i used like 20 wireties lol... but basically just find a nice spot and hook it in.. most likely it will stay put.. they arnt heavy or anything so there shouldnt be much strain on the wireties..

·
Registered
2018 CTS
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ballast where it is on your truck if possible...i'm off to work. will be purchasing kit tomorrow. thanks a lot man!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
the guy has high shipping but even then you are only talking 110 kit including shipping.. i would watch with this.. i mean if you dont use the fogs much then hey go for it.. but i would try for something brand name.. You could go with Mccholloch.. They are a good brand..

or something like this

i would say a safe kit would be in the 150-200 range.. i dotn think i would spend much less than that.. but if you want give the kit a try.. the only bad thing is that most ebay sellers dont refund the shipping so if your kit is bad and you try to return they might only give you the 50 back if that..

·
Registered
Cadillac
37 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts