Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the other night some kids thought there mustang would take me for a ride, boy did i prove them wrong. FIrst off was the 40 mph take off. I left them in the dust, the passanger had a puzzled look on his face; priceless! THen we finally got a light, i didnt even bother with the 2nd gear shift. we started off the same until about 15-20 mph, then i started to pull very fast away from him, again, the passenger was puzzled on how a "granpa car" could beat a mustang. We finally made it to an open highway. Were doing about 80 and he tries to pass, but soon realized that when i punched it, it was like he was staning still. What a joke. If i only had a camera to capture the kids dumb look when i blew by him, it would be on this site!
Frank

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Or....He's telling his friend that his car's just not running right!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
But in the end he SHOULD be saying that HE CAN'T DRIVE!
If I lost a drag race to ANY stock Cadillac in a new Mustang GT I'd be embarrassed!

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
Same here.

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
Nice Kill!

I have been looking for a Mustang and have not had any luck yet. Of course I only drive my Caddy about once a week. I hope I get one at the track my next trip there.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Katshot said:
But in the end he SHOULD be saying that HE CAN'T DRIVE!
If I lost a drag race to ANY stock Cadillac in a new Mustang GT I'd be embarrassed!
are you sure the new stang gt is fast? because i remember eating them so easily in my gtp from a stop.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The GT should be good for about a 15.0-14.5 1/4 which is not bad. The BEST 1/4 I've ever seen posted for an STS is 14.6 but most run about a 15.0. So the two are pretty close actually. The big problem for anyone in the manual trans Mustang is gonna be the launch. Most dummies don't have a clue how to launch a manual trans car and therefore probably would get beat by a STS. I personally was speaking about myself driving the GT. And I guarantee that "stock vs. stock", I would beat, or tie a STS if I were driving the Mustang.
Realistically, unless you what you're doing, a stick will be a "disadvantage" in a drag race of this type.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
The GT should be good for about a 15.0-14.5 1/4 which is not bad.
I don't know under what conditions these test were done but Motor Trends test results for a '01 Mustang Bullitt (which is only 5hp more than the GT) were 14.1 @ 97.9mph. They don't list an STS but they do list a '02 DeVille DTS........15.8 @ 92.8. The 0-60 times were 5.6 (Bullitt) and 7.3 (DTS) seconds.

·
Registered
95 Eldorado ETC
113 Posts
They do list the STS at 14.8, stangs are dogs compare to other RWD V8's unless modified there worthless and difficult to launch. I walked a few in my old Eclipse. And Im sure I could do the same in the ETC, and on the freeway there would be no contest.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
lux hauler said:
I don't know under what conditions these test were done but Motor Trends test results for a '01 Mustang Bullitt (which is only 5hp more than the GT) were 14.1 @ 97.9mph. They don't list an STS but they do list a '02 DeVille DTS........15.8 @ 92.8. The 0-60 times were 5.6 (Bullitt) and 7.3 (DTS) seconds.

July 2002 Mustang Monthly mentions that when the Bullitt first hit the streets, the initial power rating tossed around was 275 hp. Then we heard 270. The final number ended up being 265. (5 hp more than a GT) They state, "Ford wanted to be on the conservative side and avoid another '99 Cobra situation." (where cobra didnot make the claimed 320, they recalled them for a new camshaft) Most Bullits make enough power at the wheels on a dyno to translate to around 270 hp at the flywheel. "If you factor in a 15 percent parasitic loss in power for output at the wheels, you'll see that the particular Bullitt tested is easily making more than 265 ponies at the flywheel." The 99 Cobra did not make the claimed 320 at the flywheel. Just some info.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
lux hauler said:
what about other mechanical aspects?

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
In a quarter mile race - off the line - with the '01 Mustang GT and 5 speed, the Mustang would beat the STS. But from 40mph, the STS shouldn't have a problem. Even from 20mph, I never lost to a GT of those years - in my ETC...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Gearing will help determine the outcome of a race from a "specific" speed. Basically, any two cars when racing from a "punch" are at the mercy of the gearing. Autos have far fewer gears to choose from so they "generally" won't have a good a chance from a punch as long as the guy in the manual car knows what he's doing. But if you're in a powerful automatic car and you happen to be at the right speed when the race starts, the kick-down can give you a pretty good "sling-shot" effect that's hard to beat.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
148 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
In a quarter mile race - off the line - with the '01 Mustang GT and 5 speed, the Mustang would beat the STS. But from 40mph, the STS shouldn't have a problem. Even from 20mph, I never lost to a GT of those years - in my ETC...
Actually, it should be the other way around. From a dead stop, the Caddy should pull him out of the hole. Moving at 40mph, with that Mustang in second gear in his peak HP range, he should tear the STS up by 80-90mph where he'll be at the top of third gear. I'd choose an automatic with high torque from a dead stop anyday.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
cobrayankee said:
I'd choose an automatic with high torque from a dead stop anyday.
So long as you have the proper stall-speed to available torque ratio, I'd agree with you. The beauty of the stick is as long as the trans gearings is properly matched to the engine torque curve and final drive gearing, and you have a driver that knows how to launch it, and the proper tires to get it all to hook-up.......wait a second, that IS a lot of variables isn't it ;)

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
The new Mustang GT is running 14.4-14.0 in the quarter. My guess is the kid did not know how to shift. If the kid was a good driver he would have ate you up no problem whatsoever. And plus the fact that that a Mustang GT is a RWD compared to the STS being a FWD the hands down winner already is the Mustang, because FWD cars are one of the worst drag racing setups to have. Best being RWD, then AWD, then FWD. Cadillacs are not made to be performance cars unless it has that neat little V symbol after the STS logo

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
BlackoutSpecV said:
If the kid was a good driver he would have ate you up no problem whatsoever.... Cadillacs are not made to be performance cars unless it has that neat little V symbol after the STS logo
The key here is, The kid doesn't know how to get it going. So many of these little cheeseheads think they know how to go fast and then get waxed by some old duffer like me or Katshot. Then they get all pissed off because a CADILLAC of all things sent them home to their mommies with their little tail between their legs!

The bright side to this is....At least NOW they finally have something between their legs for the first time in their little insignifigant lives.:D

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Harsh dude. You need to check your meds ;)
And who are you calling an "old duffer"?!

Bottom line, you're right though. Automatics are quite a bit easier to go fast in. To get the most out of a manual, you need plenty of seat time and some good teachers.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Katshot said:
And who are you calling an "old duffer"?!
:D :histeric: :rofl:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts