Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
The transmission shop guy just struck me as a real piece of 馃挬 so I didn鈥檛 believe him at all which what he told me was 100% true so now I guess the question now is wether I should push it off on someone else or park it In the back yard with a cover and get it fixed once I can afford to. The last time I mentioned this fantasy to my wife she nearly killed me so idk.... what should I do? Would fixing the car be worth to me? Yes it would. I just asked my wife if she鈥檇 strangle me over keeping it and she said yes so...

-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
If all you have is P 1860 and/or P 0741 then you can drive the car forever with no problems - except a 1 - 2 mpg economy loss and it won't pass emissions if you're subject to testing for registration or whatever. the 4-speed auto won't be affected at all. Remember - it's a dry sump transmission - there should be NO fluid on the stick with the engine off.

FWIW, our cars are calibrated to run on 87 octane fuels - the PCM WILL NOT advance timing to take advantage of any (doubtful) benefit of a higher octane fuel. Run a Top Tier gasoline - Google it.

I have not changed the timing chains. Most of the pictures in my albums are simply for info on the 2000 - 2004 Northstar FWD Sevilles and most Devilles. Not all the pictures are of my particular STS/engine.

I have snaked a flexible borescope down into the chaincase and found no reason to mess with either the chains or the tensioners/slippers as of a year ago.

Our color is Crimson Pearl Tricoat - code BC/CC U 379E

If you want a complete RPO build sheet for your car take out a $5 subscription to www.compnine.com. For that VIN entry you get your full build sheet - plus any 4 others you desire.

Butt plug & air box 2 notes.JPG

Registered
FWIW, didn't GM have an issue back in the '80s with the TCC solenoid on the THM 350 transaxles sticking, and causing the TC to be locked up ALL the time?

-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
Way back, we saw one Seville 4T80E TCC stuck ON - the engine would stall at every stop. Uncommon, and to the best of my knowledge there's never been a TSB to that effect. P 0742

Almost all Northstar FWD TCC troubles seem to come from that damned solenoid electrical connector breakage failure, with a relative few TCC stuck OFF P 0741s following.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
I鈥檓 just saying It鈥檚 more of a joy to drive when it鈥檚 not doing what it鈥檚 doing. I鈥檒l miss the car and will probably end up getting another later in life if I haven鈥檛 gotten the Delorean before then.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
6 Participants
MasonSeville