Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we bought the 01' Seville a couple of years ago when it had 80k on it. I've never owned a Cadillac and didn't know why they didn't hold their value very well, even the low miles on this vehicle it cost $3,500. I realized when the alternator went out it cost $670 it was time to move it along to someone else then my stubbornness (or I love my car) kicked in we kept it for another 6 months or so then this issue arose.

A while back we were driving along and the car jumped without me touching the accelerator. I pulled the codes and got the one for the TCC solenoid. this past week I have attempted repair with the tranny still in the vehicle and today I'm stumped. there's a nut that is under the motor mount bracket (rear of the transmission) nut and I don't know how to get it off. If i could, replacing the tcc may not be too bad but I don't know. I need to know what type of wrench to use to get this nut off or loosened. sizes lengths etc. anything helps.

I took to a transmission shop and they said it needed a rebuild and that was for $2500, i also called around to see how much someone would charge for just that solenoid and that was $850. I've read and read and read about this repair and am down to this one nut I can't get to and i'm about to give up on it. This car only has 100k on it now so i don't really understand why it needs a rebuild, it still shifts normal while the TCC is working properly, when it isn't rpm's stay high and it pops back into first once I'm almost stopped.

I love driving this car and only read about people who love driving it because it's fast and smooth. But I don't have $500-$2000 for a repair when something breaks.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Leave it alone, unless you need emissions inspections. It just means the torque converter won't lock up. May cost you a few miles per gallon hit. You're call.
The tranny shop gave you that estimate because he doesn't want the work.

·
Super Moderator 2003 Deville Base ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
4,230 Posts
Put it back together and leave it, UNLESS you have emissions testing where you live.
I've lived with the TCC issue for over 5 years. When the SES pops up, I check codes and clear. Might be costing me 2 miles per gallon. And Harry is spot on--some shops will quote a huge price because they don't want the job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
highly likely, that's the quote I see often on this forum especially when it comes to the northstar models.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there's no way to use that tilt method without a lift is there? that'd be gold if I could do that:)

·
4,230 Posts
I’m wanting to sell it once fixed, I don’t seen anybody wanting it unless it’s fixed.
not necessarily so. I bought mine 5 years ago with the SES light on and my local tranny shop did the diagnosis. I don't live in a county with emissions testing so it didn't bother me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not necessarily so. I bought mine 5 years ago with the SES light on and my local tranny shop did the diagnosis. I don't live in a county with emissions testing so it didn't bother me.
Hmmmm Mine has the ses light on for the 20k I’ve had it, I only had the tcc issue a little after it hit 100k. If I can’t get this but off and the access panel off then I’ll just put it back together and try selling it with the issue

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,241 Posts
There is at least one tutorial in Tech Tips on the side cover opening and TCC solenoid replacement.

Google "cadillac forums tech tips 4t80e transmission side cover tcc solenoid replacement" or something close. here's a start - https://www.google.com/search?q=cadillac+forums+tech+tips+4t80e+transmission+side+cover+tcc+solenoid+replacement&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS730US730&oq=cadillac+forums+tech+tips+4t80e+transmission+side+cover+tcc+solenoid+replacement&aqs=chrome..69i57.14002j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Many other threads on this over the years. Google "cadillac forums 4t80e tcc solenoid replacement".

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,709 Posts
A while back we were driving along and the car jumped without me touching the accelerator. I pulled the codes and got the one for the TCC solenoid.

what is the ACTUAL CODE you are getting?
P1860 is the "usual" code we see that points to a failed solenoid -
HOWEVER - you would never FEEL anything - or even NOTICE anything -
other than the SES light is on -

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank
A while back we were driving along and the car jumped without me touching the accelerator. I pulled the codes and got the one for the TCC solenoid.

what is the ACTUAL CODE you are getting?
P1860 is the "usual" code we see that points to a failed solenoid -
HOWEVER - you would never FEEL anything - or even NOTICE anything -
other than the SES light is on -
i get the p1860 and the p0174 or which ever the other code is associated with it. It didn’t necessarily “jump” more like the car decided to accelerate by itself. It only does this when going down a hill where usually the car would in neutral or when the clutch is disengaged, instead it stay engaged and accelerated down the hill. I can always pull the codes again and give you all of them because there one or two others.

·
4,230 Posts
Hmmmm Mine has the ses light on for the 20k I’ve had it, I only had the tcc issue a little after it hit 100k. If I can’t get this but off and the access panel off then I’ll just put it back together and try selling it with the issue
if the SES light has been on for 20k did you ever check codes? why would you drive it that long with the SES light on? I'm puzzled.

·
66,241 Posts
P 1860 (C or H) = TCC engagement solenoid circuit failure. (Broken solenoid electrical connector)

P 0741 (C or H) = TCC stuck OFF (failed seals in the torque converter and transmission input shaft.)

If you don't do the microsurgery through the 1" opening afforded by the side cover loosening with the engine in the car, both repairs require engine and/or transmission removal. P 0741 also requires torque converter replacement and transmission removal and repair.

FWIW, GM book labor rate for TCC solenoid replacement is 10 hours - with the powertrain suspended by the special Cadillac engine suspension tool. Torque converter replacement, not including transmission shaft seal repair, is another 9.4 hours. A dealership will usually replace the transmission and torque converter with reman parts, about $4700+.

Bookmark this for reference - http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dtccode.html

Depending on trim level (SLS VIN Y or STS VIN 9) here are the speed/rpm tables with TCC engaged at road load speeds over 41 mph. VIN Y stops at 115 mph because those cars are speed limited to 112 mph.

Final drive speed graph.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if the SES light has been on for 20k did you ever check codes? why would you drive it that long with the SES light on? I'm puzzled.
I mean I saw no reason to check them because the car drove fine, maybe it was an alternator failure code because it went out later on. Anyway I’ve decided it is time to put her back together and move it along. I hate giving up on it because I was excited to fix this and have it working right again but this cause is lost:-(

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,709 Posts
Thank

i get the p1860 and the p0174 or which ever the other code is associated with it. It didn’t necessarily “jump” more like the car decided to accelerate by itself. It only does this when going down a hill where usually the car would in neutral or when the clutch is disengaged, instead it stay engaged and accelerated down the hill. I can always pull the codes again and give you all of them because there one or two others.
=======================
It didn’t necessarily “jump” more like the car decided to accelerate by itself.
you have MUCH bigger problems/issues going on -
you simply CAN NOT feel the TCC engage or disengage -
nor does it have ANYTHING to do with causing the car to accelerate by itself -

when working properly -
the TCC will engage at speeds over 42mph when the car is simply maintaining speed on flat/level ground -

the SLIGHTEST acceleration will cause the TCC to disengage -

likewise - the SLIGHTEST braking will cause the TCC to disengage -

in fact - THIS is the best way to discover if the TCC is actually working -
barely touching the brake pedal - while watching the tach -
you should see the RPM's raise by around 200 - thus proving the TCC was engaged -

·
66,241 Posts
Yup - TCC is pretty benign - most owners don't even know it's there unless it dies and sets the SES icon.

It's a viscous clutch action - no plates or metal to metal contact.

In the 4T80E the OD is 4th gear at 0.68:1; direct drive is 3rd at 1.00:1 - TCC is a further erpm reduction on top of that. TCC is factored into the vehicle CAFE specs so it's an emissions control item - failure is an emissions test fail.

IF everything is operating as designed an extended coastdown (mountain driving, coming down from 100+) will cause the PCM to drop out the fuel injectors for added engine braking. As soon as you again touch the accelerator the injectors kick in - it's seamless.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
=======================
It didn’t necessarily “jump” more like the car decided to accelerate by itself.
you have MUCH bigger problems/issues going on -
you simply CAN NOT feel the TCC engage or disengage -
nor does it have ANYTHING to do with causing the car to accelerate by itself -

when working properly -
the TCC will engage at speeds over 42mph when the car is simply maintaining speed on flat/level ground -

the SLIGHTEST acceleration will cause the TCC to disengage -

likewise - the SLIGHTEST braking will cause the TCC to disengage -

in fact - THIS is the best way to discover if the TCC is actually working -
barely touching the brake pedal - while watching the tach -
you should see the RPM's raise by around 200 - thus proving the TCC was engaged -
Lol according to that data it hasn’t worked at all since I’ve had it and just makes me f*cking 😃 I guess the transmission does need rebuilding then YAAAAYY

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup - TCC is pretty benign - most owners don't even know it's there unless it dies and sets the SES icon.

It's a viscous clutch action - no plates or metal to metal contact.

In the 4T80E the OD is 4th gear at 0.68:1; direct drive is 3rd at 1.00:1 - TCC is a further erpm reduction on top of that. TCC is factored into the vehicle CAFE specs so it's an emissions control item - failure is an emissions test fail.

IF everything is operating as designed an extended coastdown (mountain driving, coming down from 100+) will cause the PCM to drop out the fuel injectors for added engine braking. As soon as you again touch the accelerator the injectors kick in - it's seamless.
I am sorry sir, I have neglected responding to your comments. Mine is burgundy also and it’s the prettiest car on the road:-( I’ve flipped through all of your photo albums and really like the pictures and where you changed the timing chains.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
6 Participants
MasonSeville