Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2001 STS suspension

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

This forum has helped me out so many times with my 2001 STS. I have 185,000 miles and feels like my front suspension needs help. When I hit a bump in the road the front end bounces up and down and up and down. I am concerning original active struts vs passive struts. I would like to know what you guys think. If I change the struts to passive, will I notice a BIG difference in handling? One passive strut manufacture suggested passive unless I intended on speeds over 90MPH, then the active struts are best.

1) ARNOTT has two front struts for $325 which they say will be the best way to go. (no springs)

2) AMAZON has ACDELCO replacement struts for about $1,300. (no springs)

3) SUNCORE has struts with springs for $400 but I have to put a resistor in so the lights don't on.

Any suggestions or highlights would be greatly appreciated.

2001STSCADDY

Oh by the way, I will never buy any other car than a caddy. Grandpa talked me into keeping this car two more years and then I want either an Escalade or the new 2016 CTS sedan with some guts.

See less See more
#2 ·
Your shocks are completely dead. You could by the worst passive struts on the planet, with 50K miles on them, and your handling would improve.

Unless you drive very aggressively on back roads, there isn't much noticeable difference between passive and active. Weather or not active is worth the price is up to you.

All of the "conversion" kits are simply cheap struts with about $0.50 worth of resistors in them to trick the computers into thinking they're active. For this, you pay 2-3 times the price of a regular, passive strut.

The best passive option is a set of Monroe struts, and a pack of 4.7K ohm, 1/2 watt resistors from RadioShack.

Id also suggest replacing the shocks if they haven't been already. Same deal, Monroe shocks and resistors. The part number for the shocks is MA822. You can find them for ~$60, for the pair, shipped. I do t know the part numbers for the struts off the top of my head, but basscatt will probably chime in with it, as well as where to get the best price.

Does your ELC system work? Does the rear level itself when weight is added in the rear seats or trunk?

#3 ·
==============================
ARNOTT has two front struts for $325
arnott are very expensive CRAP -

SUNCORE has struts with springs for $400
another rip-off -

the BEST passive struts you can buy would be the
Monroe 71684 SensaTrack - $62.63 each - with free shipping -
http://www.partsgeek.com/jzhsgdr-cadillac-seville-strut-assembly.html?fp=pp

and for the rear shocks -
Monroe MA822 - $54.51 - for the PAIR - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C55T7W/?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and you will need a pack of 4.7K Ohm 1/2W resistors
RadioShack #271-1124 - around $1.50 -

#4 ·
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your input. My rear shocks are self-leveling. Question: Is there a company that rebuilds the front active struts?

I would like to replace my front struts first. So OK passive struts I shall install.

Question: Is there anything else I need like bushings, gaskets, etc when I replace the front struts? I know that there are three bolts under the hood that I need to remove and the two bolts that attach to the wheel bearing asslembly.

Should I replace my front springs and if so, does MONROE make the struts with springs as one assembly?

Thanks so much for all your help!!!

2001STSCADDY

#6 ·
======================
My rear shocks are self-leveling
if you are referring to ELC - Electronic Level Control -
ALL of our Sevilles - Eldorados and Devilles have ELC -
and the Monroe MA822 kit is a direct replacement shock -
using the same air lines without any modifications -

Is there a company that rebuilds the front active struts?
NO -

Is there anything else I need like bushings, gaskets, etc
when I replace the front struts?

hard to say -
at 185,000 miles - it is quite possible
that the strut mounts/bearings are will worn -
of course - now would be the best time to replace them - if needed -
Monroe 902972 - $41.15 - each - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CD570S/?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Should I replace my front springs
you would have to measure to determine if you need new springs -

the STS has the stiffer FE3 suspension/springs -
and is going to take a LOT of homework
to get the correct part numbers -

ALL aftermarket springs - and listed ACDelco/GM springs -
are based on the FE1 softer SLS springs -
YES - they could be used -
YES - the ride will be somewhat softer -

MOOG 60230 - $71.77 - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/Moog-60230-Co...automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

does MONROE make the struts with springs as one assembly?
those are called "quick struts" -
and - sadly - NO Monroe does not have one for the Seville -

Gabriel does make one -
but I do NOT recommend Gabriel struts or shocks -
poor quality and harsh ride -

#5 ·
Nobody is making aftermarket active struts or rebuilding them. Monroe used to make aftermarket ones, but they're discontinued.

I replace strut mounts and bearings when I replace struts. And shock mounts when I replace shocks. You may also want to replace spring isolator lads while the strut assembly is disassembled. You will need s spring compressor to do this job (or you can take the old assemblies and new struts to a shop and have them swap in the new struts).

#8 ·
I'll second what MoistCabbage said. At your mileage you need to replace your strut mounts up front. When the rubber tears or becomes too worn, the car handles for crap. I can't image that at your mileage the rubber in the mounts has not significantly degraded. Personally, I would replace every part of the front strut assembly while you have them out. I would get the insulators, bearings, and mounts all replaced.

As for the coils, looking back I wish I replaced mine. It is hard to find a straight answer on the forums and many people say that they coils are good until the break. Metal fatigues though and when it is moving in a coil, I bet that some level of performance degradation happens over time.

#9 ·
Hey Guys,

I have the MONROE struts, springs, and strut mounts and am ready to put them together before I remove the old ones. However, the mount kits DO NOT come with instructions! Do you have or can you direct me to an online manual that shows how the springs and parts are to be put together?

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

2001STSCADDY

#10 ·
Hi guys,

I have replaced my front struts, springs, and all the rest of the parts on the front struts. It drives like new!

I do have a question regarding the resistors. I have not bought them yet. How do you install them? Are they waterproof or how do you keep moisture from the connection.

My friend gave me a set of resistors they use at Suncore. But they are 3 ohm at 25 watt, at least that's what I read on the resistor. They are waterproof.

Thanks again,

2001stscaddy

----------

Hi guys,

I have replaced my front struts, springs, and all the rest of the parts on the front struts. It drives like new!

I do have a question regarding the resistors. I have not bought them yet. How do you install them? Are they waterproof or how do you keep moisture from the connection.

My friend gave me a set of resistors they use at Suncore. But they are 3 ohm at 25 watt, at least that's what I read on the resistor. They are waterproof.

Thanks again,

2001stscaddy

#11 ·
You want a pack of 4.7K Ohm - 4700 Ohm - carbon or metal film resistors from Radio Shack. Probably $1.75 for 5. The Suncore - and others - are the same resistor in a $50 each potted into a cutesy box.

You bend the leads of one resistor in a U, plug them into each existing shock/strut body harness and insulate/waterproof well - a big blob of GE silicone sealant will do it.

The 3 Ohm 25 Watt ones are probably for the (entirely different) 2002.5 - 2003 STS Magnetic Ride Control suspension system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.